What shall we call the 12/17" PB's ?

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
England
Hi all,

My first post here but i've been a regular reader and I joined in the festive Keynote party in the iChat room (nick: MoleFax) Well done MacRumors hitting it on the head with the PowerBook predictions.

My question is this (hopefully this hasn't been covered in another thread - I did look a little)

What nick name shall we use for the new Powerbooks? Here are some already being used...

AlBook - This makes most sense, Al being the symbol in the periodic table for Aluminium. However it doesn't really sound that great. Who wants a powerbook named after some mysterious Al guy?

AiBook - Where does the i come from? It doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't we reserve this name for when (and if) the iBooks go Aluminium?

AaBook (Anodized Aluminium) This is the only alternative I could think of.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

hs-l

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
what about:

ALuALLOiBook
AlloiBook
AluBook

i have to look wat Ai stands for, some kind of metal but i can't find my "periodical system" right now!!

HS-L

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
England
And i've just realised i've probably not posted this in the correct forum (please forgive me, there are so many of them!)

Anyway if you could move it rather than delete it would be much appreciated.

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
The names shall be . . .

Little Al (for the 12")
and
Big Al (for the 17")

(and when the 15" upgrades to aluminum, it will be, "AlBook in the Middle" or probably just "Middle Al")

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
As a poster in another thread opined, perhaps simply calling them Powerbooks would be sufficient. 12" Powerbook (there was of course a 12" version of the original G3 series Powerbook, but that was a DSTN screen) would probably do, but 12" G4 Powerbook would certainly nail down which one you meant. And since there is only one 17" Powerbook, that would be pretty dead-on, too.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
Anything with more than 1 syllable before 'Book' might as well be called a PowerBook, and classify it by 12" and 17". You could call them WiBooks, because of their ultimate wireless abilities, but that's just my opinion...

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Well I just emailed Nathalie Welch from Apple's Hardware PR dept with this question, I may not hear back from her but if I do I'll let you know the official answer.
I'm glad to see that in the forums some people are already adopting my choice which is the minibook and cinebook....

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Al 12", Al 17" and soon Al 15". So AlBook or aBook. Not sure where some got the 'i' in Ai from either.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
for the 12" we should make reference to 12"=a foot. like 'g4-by-the-foot'; or the 'footlong'

for the 17" when you're that big, they call you Mister. or maybe 'Yao'

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Mine's gonna be called George.

As in "I'm gonna love it, and hug it, and call it George".

Incidently, my iPod is also called George.
My Cube's called Ringo, so I guess John or Paul might also work.

Or John Paul...

Or Pope...

Okay, so now I'm just rambling.
Footlong will do just fine.

dorleac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2003
Nicknames for new Powerbooks...

Actually, although I like MiniBook and CineBook, I think the names that make the most sense, especially considering the ad campaigns, are Small and Big, or SmallBook and BigBook if it's not explicit you're talking about PowerBooks.

neocitron

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2003
Canada
nick names!!

17" Powerbook = TB (for Tall Book)
12" Powerbook = SB (for short book)

dont like that?

PB7 = powerbook 17'
PB2 = powerbook 12"

dont like that too?

bBook (17) and weebook(12)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
i got this one nailed down...

the 12" should be called a whyBook (why in the hell did they make this thing?)
the 17" should be called a dieBook ('cuz its ****ing killer..)

WiBook is good for wireless capability...

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
AlumiBook sounds good.

highlights not only the metal it is made out of but the fast that the keyboard lights up too.

I think we need a poll on this. My vote goes for AlumiBook.