What should I buy???? (answer my poll!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mac2004, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

    Mar 17, 2004
    Okay, I can no longer wait much longer!!!!! I really want to get a new Apple computer soon so please answer my poll. I'm a self employed 30 year old male and I want a good computer that's exapandable and I can hook up 5 devices to. I mostly use my computer for Internet, Eudora email, web cam, AppleWorks, Microsoft Word, Adobe PhotoShop Elements, Quick Books, Quicken, Adobe PageMaker, archiving photos I take, itunes, graphic design (designing business cards, labels, stationary, and forms) etc.

    What should I do?

    Option #1: Get a dual 1.8 PowerMac G5 (new version one - rev B model)
    Option #2: Get a dual 1.8 PowerMac G5 (old version one - rev A model)
    Option #3: Get the current white Imac with 17" or 20" monitor
    Option #4: Get an Emac with SuperDrive
    Option #5: Wait until mid September for the new Imac and get one of those

    Lastly, where should I get this new Apple computer?

    Option #1: Apple.com (sales tax)
    Option #2: Mac Connection (no sales tax)
    Option #3: Mac Mall (no sales tax)
    Option #4: Apple Store (sales tax)
  2. Koree macrumors 6502

    Jun 19, 2004

    Get the rev B 1.8 gigahert dual, It's expandable while the imac and emac are only expandable to a certain degree. And shop where ever you feel comfortable. If mac mall is doing a thing where they add some ram or something for you. You should probably do that. Well, which ever option you take, you will have a fine computer, but the 1.8 duallie is the only one that is truly expandable. And don't wait till september if you just get the powermac, nothing is going to happen to that series for a while.
  3. kirk26 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 21, 2003
    West Virginia
    I didn't see a choice for "None of the above"
  4. atari1356 macrumors 68000


    Feb 27, 2004
    Have you considered a Powerbook?

    Out of the options listed, I'd go for one of the Dual 1.8GHz G5's... but for all of the things you do, one of the new Powerbooks would be great. For me, I've found that portability is the best feature of any computer.
  5. BakedBeans macrumors 68040


    May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    a new powerbook would do you proud i think its all down to what you fancy just dont get the current imac that would be silly.....

    the old g5s (i had 2 both 1.8s... i wasnt that impressed with... although fast not amazing..imho... and they were noisy....)so rev b on that front

    they will all do what you wnat, it just depends on budget...

    if it was me that had to choose i would get a 15inch powerbook and an airport extreme there so powerfull....

    ok im going to stop babbling

    and using randon spaces and full stops

    hope this helps
  6. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 17, 2004
    No laptops for me

    I'm not interested in a Powerbook or IBook. I want something for my home office and I really want a tower or something like the imac. I don't like using laptops....
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    go with one of the G5s it will last you and its will do all that you need it too. and its up to you where you want to buy it from
  8. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 17, 2004
    Which one?

    Yes, but do you recommend the old (rev A) or new (rev B) PowerMac G5 1.8???
  9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816


    Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    Get a refurbished RevA powermac G5 dual 1.8GHz or wait for a new iMac.
  10. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Agree: go with a refurb 1.8. Note that even the 'old' 1.8's aren't all that bad. I have a relatively "ancient" dual 2.0 (received it in September) and have had no problems with it. The 1.8's will be, at worst, 8 months old, after some of the initial internal part revs (like power supply). They're likely to be much newer.

    Very few people would advise a new 1.8 over an 'old' one, given the specs.

    If you can wait, and don't want a refurb, I'd wait to see the new iMacs and their shipping dates. It's only a few months away.
  11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601


    Aug 9, 2002
  12. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I'd go with a dual 1.8 G5, I'd get it from apple.com, and I'd go with a new one for only one reason - so you can get it BTO and add bluetooth, which I've found to be invaluable.
  13. dvdh macrumors 6502


    Apr 6, 2004
    Playing devil's advocate . . . .

    Since everyone here seems to be pointing towards DP1.8 (either old or new), I am going to raise the Emac option.

    Looking at what you are doing with your computer, I see nothing that is particularly taxing on systems. Since you are using Elements and Pagemaker, I am judging that you are not working with any 500mB files or any heavy processor work. The email, word processing, and the likes will not be using any of these machine to anywhere near their potential.

    So . . . what if you went with Emac for now, it will cost you half the cash, under the assumption that you will likely be itching to upgrade (its human nature afterall to want more no matter what you have) in say about 12-16 months.

    Also don't discount the laptop route. Once you own one, you will for ever wonder how you did without. Again with what you are doing user-wise, a pbook 1.25 15" (or even a ibook 1.2) would probably serve the purpose well.
  14. LeeTom macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2004

Share This Page