What should I buy in terms of good specs for price

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lgtw, Jul 14, 2010.

1. lgtw macrumors member

Hi. I'm a younger teen, and have no summer job. I'm trying to sell things to get money for a refurbished iMac 3.06GHZ 21.5" or a Mac Mini 2.4 GHZ. I've done my research on these two computers for quite awhile, probably about a month. I've even thought out the prices and everything. My dad is going to put around $840 towards getting myself a Mac, and I'm putting $170 from the item that I am selling on craigslist. The Mac mini with an education discount should cost $740 from Apple with a 2.4 GHZ processor with 4GB ram in it when it sends, however, I need a high quality, 21" 1080p monitor, which should cost around $140, bringing the total to $880. However, a refurbished iMac with the specs I listed above should cost around $1,000. Is the extra $120 worth it? What is most recommended for a first time Mac user at home? Should I hold off on getting a higher spec'd Mac Mini? I also have to remember that $120 is probably also valued on the keyboard and mouse, which together are $140, which come with the iMac.

That is my dilemma, which computer would I be better off with. I'm coming from a Windows Vista SP2 laptop with a 2GHZ processor and 2GB of ram as my main computer to do videos and what not. I need more specs so I can get these videos out on YouTube to my audience at a faster, and higher quality rate on video editing software, such as Final Cut Pro and iMovie.

In case you wanted the specs, here they are.

Mac Mini - $749 with education.
    2.4 GHZ
    4 GB RAM
    320 GB HD
    +21" 1080p HD Monitor ($140)
    Total Price - $889

Aluminum iMac (refurbished)
    3.06 GHZ
    4 GB RAM
    500 GB HD
    Total Price - $999

I don't mind that it's about to update, as I'm not getting either of these until Christmas. If the iMac that I want does drop price if they still sell that version refurbished after the new update very soon, then I will buy that. I just want a good computer that isn't all that expensive, and a Mac, and something really good for video making and spitting out things very fast.

:apple:

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

To the best of my knowledge, the spec of the computer won't affect the quality of your finished movie.

Given that youtube movies are limited to 10 minutes for normal users, you probably wont notice much or a speed difference in editing your footage. Are you really in that much of a rush? I use a 2gig MacBook and I don't find myself sat around twiddling my thumbs when editing.

If you're on a budget, then the Mini will be fine.

3. flatfoot macrumors 65816

If you can afford it, go for the iMac. The CPU is quite a bit faster than that of the mini and so is the internal hard drive. It'll feel (and be) much faster.
    Plus, you get a nice screen along with it.

4. lgtw thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the advice and somewhat quick response. I hope I can get the iMac, I feel it would benefit me more. As I can use birthday money on a Flip Camera, instead of a monitor. Yes, the screen is very nice, I used one almost every 2 weeks when school was in. The thing about the iMac refurbished is that I have no idea when the screen will go out and I lose the whole computer, does Apple have a replacement or something?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You are a student, right? If you buy the iMac now, you get free iPod Touch with it. Selling it for around 150 bucks lowers the price of iMac to around 850$, only 100$ more than Mini. iMac comes with keyboard and mouse while Mini doesn't, even that is worth the 100$ let alone the better CPU, display, 4GB RAM etc..

You can buy AppleCare for 179$ during the 1-year warranty, that will increase the warranty from 1 year to 3 years

6. lgtw thread starter macrumors member

Reply to hellhammer1

Oh, I thought that was with the Macbook Pros only?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Nah, it's for all other than Mini and refurbished Macs, so you can get it with iMac

8. lgtw thread starter macrumors member

Reply to hellhammer

Wow! That's great. Well education makes the new iMac only about $50 more. So we might just get that instead. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully they still have that offer when they upgrade the iMac soon, hopefully they're still the same price, if not, a little bit lower. Same for the iPod Touch deal, but higher price on those. >:)

I hope some of those don't change with updates, they're both about to update. Probably both around the same time to make it a little bit more easy for Apple.

9. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Isn't the ipod touch deal only for new macs?

10. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Yes. And as the poster above noted, the Mac Mini (any configuration) is not eligible for the free iPod.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, but I said all other than Mini and refurbs. If OP is a student, there is no reason to get refurb anyway as it's only like 50$ more and you miss the free iPod which is worth 200$

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The free iPod deal ends in September so save fast ;)

Also, regarding the fact the iMac comes with a mouse/keyboard, I think it makes the +$50 worth it!

13. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

well he's a "younger teen" so he might not even qualify for the BTS deal

14. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

The last time I did the student / iPod deal I had to pay upfront for the iPod and then wait 6-10 weeks for the rebate cheque. If this is still the case then the original poster will have to come up with an additional couple of hundred just to get the iPod and then after that go through the process of applying for the rebate and selling the iPod.

Also, my thinking is that the iMac is the better computer.

s.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The Mini he listed was edu priced so I would assume he is a student

16. lgtw thread starter macrumors member

To clear up the commotion around everyone. I am using my sister's college IT store and then my dad will buy it from her and give her the money. And the iPod has to be bought before we get $200 back, so it'll be just like getting a Mac anyways. Also, it depends on if we buy it before September 7, 2010. Which is probably a no. :(

:apple:

17. lgtw thread starter macrumors member

I'm saying that my Windows's videos aren't as good as people on YouTube who have videos made from a Mac. The budget for the mini won't be much. I guess I would get the iMac as I am in a hurry. It's taken me 4 hours for 10 min video in Vegas with 2 GHZ 2GB RAM. If I get an iMac, it'd be waaaay faster and more simple for a 10 min. Thanks for the post though.

Edit: I would like to also use the computer while editing, but not have a massive effect on the rendering speed. Those computers would be my main computer, and when no one wants to go outside or it's late, and I really want my video up fast and soon, then i need something fast and can also browse the internet with.

18. MacSignal macrumors regular

Regardless of the iPod promotion which may not be an option in December when you say you will be buying, the iMac is a better value than the Mini. The low end iMac will definitely feel faster and offer better performance for the money.

Although I love the Mini and although I'm personally not a fan of AIO computers, the display and the peripherals you get with the iMac makes it hard to pass up on a valuation basis when it's compared to the Mini.