What should I check 2make sure if everythin is fine,be4 paying money at door?MBP 17

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macmania82, Jul 15, 2009.

1. macmania82 macrumors regular

I had a topic here under the link http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8091557&posted=1#post8091557 I had asked few questions, and you guys had helped me :) I appreciate!!

and I've ordered the laptop!! :D I will have it on Friday. I will make payment after I give a quick check if everything is fine, while delivery guy is waiting at the door. What exactly should I check to make sure that everything is fine?

Thanks a lot for golden comments! :)

• i will check serial number, if it is same with the seller emailed me. that serial no has 1st year warranty until 7 July 2010
    • i will boot up to see if it really works :)
    • checking screen for dead pixel
    • specification if it is really like the seller told me.
    • and what else?

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.80GHz - 6MB Level 2 cache
    * Memory: 4GB DDR3
    * Hard Drive: 500GB (5400 RPM)
    * Matrix: 17 "1920x1200 widescreen display (AntiGlare)
    * Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 512MB GeForce 9400M +
    * Optical Drive: 8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD ± R DL / DVD ± RW / CD-RW)
    * The WiFi: AirPort Extreme (802.11 a / b / g / n),
    * Ports: Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    * Ports: 3xUSB, SD card reader, FireWire 800
    * Camera: Built-in iSight camera,
    * Mini DisplayPort that supports DVI, dual-DVI, and VGA video
    * The battery life: Up to 8 hours (work with WiFi)
    * Keyboard with backlight
    * Included software: Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard iLife'09 +

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you can convince the delivery guy to wait there for that long then props to you. I would do all of those things and just click on the Apple and do a quick run through the system info under "About this Mac" just to make sure if you are that paranoid. But if you ordered it from Apple, I wouldn't be so scared. Even if the delivery guy does go and you realize a problem 15 minutes later, you are still going to go through the same steps. It's not like you can just give it back to him/her unless you refuse to accept.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

The delivery guy likely won't want to stand around while you give the system a rundown.

4. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

I can convince even the demon to wait for me to check it! :D I will check what needs to be checked :D

ps: it is just 5 mins thing. he will be ok : )

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You'll be lucky to get the delivery guy to wait. Once you've signed for it, he couldn't care less.

6. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

i bought it from a portal like ebay. it was my condition to the seller that i will check before paying. maybe im too paranoid, but im not rich person who doesnt care about money. I saved this big money sooo hardly

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you ordered it from eBay I understand, but if the seller has good feedback, which given your worry I would imagine they would, you should be fine. I also am not sure how you can stop the seller from getting your money if it's through PayPal as a simple verification of shipping is all it takes.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Check the case that there's no cracks or something.

9. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

i just spoke to my seller to make sure about delivery guy's waiting. and he said that I'm not the first one like that :D and he even pays few dollars more for them to wait. so waiting is very ok.

what about my main question about what needs to be checked? :)

and I dont mean anything bad about seller here. he is trustable guy, i can see it from his over 700 sales and 100% positive comments. but it is a sealed box product, so some problem can be from apple, like production, or delivery, or.... you know...

10. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

yess thats the first thing ;)

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+ Check that there's all cables and documents (installation disks) what there should be.

Here's all what should be in the box:

Attached Files:

12. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

yes thanks for the list :) I actually already watched over 234234 youtube unboxing videos :D :D :D i watched many times what needs to be in the box :D :D

but again, thanks for the list, good to have it on a side for not to forget any item :D

13. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I wasn't aware UPS had an option that said "Pay $x.xx extra for the delivery guy to wait while item is powered on and inspected." :)

Just be sure to ask him if its OK that you check it over first. But in 150% honesty, what will you do if its not ok? Give it back to the delivery guy? No. Thats the worst thing you can do as far as I am concerned. File a dispute with paypal and get things in motion BEFORE giving up the item!!

Again, having the delivery guy wait around is pointless if the box is in good shape, as no matter what, you will want to keep the item. If he has the money, and the item, thats a bad situation in my opinion.

14. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

yes i dont feel okay at all about making delivery guy wait :/ and Im not such a person who can make trouble to him like giving the box back even if there is something wrong with item.

so what should i do if i see any broken or scratched part? seller gave me guarantee that I can refuse the delivery if i see something wrong. and the seller is very okay wit that. he says it is normal.

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

As long as he is willing to give you the money back I guess thats ok, but I like to either have my money, or the item, I *personally* wouldn't want to not have the money, and give back the item. Seems like a very easy way to get shafted.

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In any case, don't give it back to delivery guy. Keep it and contact the seller. He should give you the money back first and then you can send the MBP back to him. As uberamd said, it's the worst scenario if seller has both, money and the item

17. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

You say this is a sealed box laptop from Apple. It should be okay, btu could get damaged this it being shipped.

You know what should be in the box, I would check those things out first. Then see if the laptop boots when plugged in etc.

On dead pixels, Apples return policy, I think, is a minimum of 5 dead pixels. If I am wrong, someone will correct me on the forum.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, it's 5 or one in the centre of the screen.

I have 2 dead pixels and went through replacements 3 times and all had some dead or stuck ones. They annoy you for first days and maybe weeks but I don't even recognize them anymore.

19. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

im a bit confused now :confused:

should I check before paying to delivery guy, or just taking it and trying to deal with seller (whom I dont know personally and cant trust actually) in a case of something is wrong with the item?

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Who do you deal with if not the seller? If you hand it back to delivery guy he'll take it back to the seller who'll have your money and your MBP then. Pay for the carrier, check it and deal with the seller if something is wrong.

21. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

i didnt send any money to seller yet. he offered me to make payment at door after I check everything is fine with the item. so if i hand it back to delivery guy, I will just not pay anything. I will keep my money in my pocket (i know it is really not nice situation : ( to giving it back to delivery guy . i dont want to do that at all, but ... i also dont want to have headache later)

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So you didn't pay via PayPal or something? You'll give the money of the MBP to carrier if everything is OK? Will the carrier send the money to seller then? That changes the whole story. If something isn't right, just give the MBP to delivery guy.

23. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

yes i did NOT pay even a dollar yet. i didnt feel comfortable with paying money first, and seller offered me to pay cash at door to delivery guy after I check the item. seller was pretty nice to me : )

and I felt ok with this way. so he posted the item today, I will have it on Friday. and I will pay cash money to delivery guy after I make sure myself that everything is okay with the item, otherwise I will not accept the delivery. this is what I spoke with seller.

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OK, then it's fine. Check the MBP first and pay only if it's what you wanted

25. macmania82 thread starter macrumors regular

now it is okay :D thanks