What should I do? Apple store Genius refusing to see issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CupertinoSlave, Oct 6, 2014.

1. CupertinoSlave macrumors regular

CupertinoSlave

Today, I finally went to another appointment with an Apple store genius that promised me he would help resolve my issue. My iPhone 6 has (what I believe) is a defect.

The top right part of the screen is darker than the rest. I can see it clearly on white backgrounds and in photos I take of my iPhone.

Talking to the Genius, he seemed to be confused as to what the issue was. He then grabs my phone and compares it to a few store models which seem to have the same dimming in the top right corner as mine.

He then states there is no issue, that all iPhone 6's have this and tells me "That's how apple designed them".

Any suggestions on what I should do?

2. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

If it bothers you that much, return for a refund and purchase elsewhere? May had come from the same batch...

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Why not simply return the phone if you are unhappy with it?

If I was the genius though I'd probably would have done the same thing. The perfectionist issue pervading customers is a nightmare and I would get tired of people making mountains out of molehills that don't really affect the performance of their brand new device. If he compared and refused I would assume it's a minuscule difference that is really just in your head (unless you can provide pics of course).

4. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I honestly think the genius is right, that all iPhone have this issue. Is it a defect? I think so. Can they do anything? I don't think so- literally every iPhone 6 I have seen has this issue if you put a completely white screen on the entire screen.

5. CupertinoSlave thread starter macrumors regular

CupertinoSlave

I would rebuy it from another apple store if I could. They told me I would have to wait 4 - 6 week to get the money back if I return it.

6. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Sounds like they're feeding you a line. You can return it, then contest the charge with your card company.

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

So you don't have enough money to buy another unit while you wait for your refund? The credit card is maxed out already? I still don't see the problem of why not return it and buy it elsewhere.

From my experience refunds don't take 4-6 weeks anyway.

8. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

3-4 weeks?!!!. Should be more like 3-4 business days. Return it before your 14 days are up and when one shows up, get it.

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Three options then:
    1) make another appointment and hope for the best
    2) return and wait for money to come back to rebuy (def wont be 4 - 6 weeks)
    3) scream like this lady...

10. CupertinoSlave thread starter macrumors regular

CupertinoSlave

Thats a pretty good idea, I would have to check with my bank before hand.

11. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I love that video!

12. CupertinoSlave thread starter macrumors regular

CupertinoSlave

thats the particular account I use to buy things like this. keep in mind paying around $1000 for this 128 gb. I would be down 2000 dollars for a month.

13. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Nah don't believe the whole 4-6 weeks time period. If you paid with cash I think that might be true (they will refund with a check), but if you paid with credit card it won't take that long. After they (Apple) process the return the money goes back to the credit card. Then it's up to the credit card company to process and give you back the credit.

It might take up to a week, but certainly not 4-6 weeks. I returned a iPhone 5s last year, I just checked it took Apple exactly six business day before I got my money refunded.

If you pay attention almost all company will tell you, it takes up to 2+ weeks for credit card refund. But I think the employees are taught to say that so they can get you off their back so you don't come back for another couple weeks to bother them. Of all the stuff that I have returned I would say on average 2-7 days is about the right time period.

14. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

The guy is doing that to get you to not return it...increase sales and gets you out of the return period.

15. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Yeah, but obviously you'd get half of it back shortly so its not like you have to pay that much out of pocket really. Its just that your money is held for a while. Chances are the refund is processed sooner anyway, most retailers quote longer times just to avoid people complaining when it doesn't instantly hit their statements.

16. erzhik macrumors 6502

Listen to what the "genius" said, then subtract about 90% of what he said, put it in a box and label it BS. They don't know what they are talking about. Refund takes 3-4 days to process (7 if your bank is some shady bank in Florida).

You bought the product with your OWN money. Return it, don't let them talk you into keeping it. If one part of the screen is darker, this is a defect, plain and simple. They didn't design a phone like that. Fight for your money, nobody else will do it for you.

17. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I agree. I truly do feel bad for Apple retail employees and customers with actual problems.

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol what exactly is she yelping about?

19. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I think she said, "I was told by AppleCare that I could walk in the store and get a part." So presumably she called and asked about getting something for her Apple product.

20. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

An iPhone defect? Impossible! You're all looking at it wrong!

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

From reading some of the ridiculous threads and post, she probably has an account on this forum.

----------

Don't quite your day job.

Your future in comedy is not assured.

22. CupertinoSlave thread starter macrumors regular

CupertinoSlave

I just saw found this video (looks like its from russia), the screen looks exactly like mine with the darker top corner. Maybe the Apple store genius was right?

23. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

You should definitely be able to return it and not wait two weeks for a refund.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Here's the deal...

If you can live with it, you are free to come back in a month or two and plead your case. If all the phones are the same still, you will know it is just how they are. If they are not, they will almost certainly swap it for you.

The real question is whether you can live with it if it happens to be the way all phones are.

25. CupertinoSlave thread starter macrumors regular

CupertinoSlave

I have no problem accepting that the phone is made this way, what bothers me is not knowing if its a defect or not.