Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MP All Models What should I do re: new Mac Pro?

themagichoof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Guys, I apologize if this info is everywhere but I'm in the process of moving an entire company to another state so my time is limited. Here are my ideas. Thanks in advance to anyone's thoughts.

I'm absolutely out of the loop on Mac Pros and Apple's new line of stuff. I edit, animate and render video for a living. The 2019 Mac Pro has that Afterburner card but I'm not sure how much it would benefit me. I work with Pro Res when editing and color correcting footage. If that card can speed that process up, I may look into it. Is it worth it for that?

The other thing I'm concerned about is the laughably slow preview rendering in After FX on my 2012 Mac Pro machines. I believe that's CPU-only, and the 2012 MP I have just doesn't cut it. Maybe a newer 2019 MP would speed that up a lot. I wish there were some sort of accelerator for After FX stuff which probably takes more of my time than anything.

Basically I'm looking for a raw speed Lamborghini upgrade in a new video editing machine for closer to realtime visual feedback, and not at all an upgrade for rendering a final output with a bunch of CPU cores. I just go walk my dog when it's doing that anyway. Resolve, After FX, and to a lesser extent Premiere are my main CPU hogs.

Finally, I just read about Apple's new CPUs, so maybe I should wait until next year to get one instead of a 2019. What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: OkiRun

OkiRun

macrumors demi-god
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Guys, I apologize if this info is everywhere but I'm in the process of moving an entire company to another state so my time is limited. Here are my ideas. Thanks in advance to anyone's thoughts.

I'm absolutely out of the loop on Mac Pros and Apple's new line of stuff. I edit, animate and render video for a living. The 2019 Mac Pro has that Afterburner card but I'm not sure how much it would benefit me. I work with Pro Res when editing and color correcting footage. If that card can speed that process up, I may look into it. Is it worth it for that?

The other thing I'm concerned about is the laughably slow preview rendering in After FX on my 2012 Mac Pro machines. I believe that's CPU-only, and the 2012 MP I have just doesn't cut it. Maybe a newer 2019 MP would speed that up a lot. I wish there were some sort of accelerator for After FX stuff which probably takes more of my time than anything.

Basically I'm looking for a raw speed Lamborghini upgrade in a new video editing machine for closer to realtime visual feedback, and not at all an upgrade for rendering a final output with a bunch of CPU cores. I just go walk my dog when it's doing that anyway. Resolve, After FX, and to a lesser extent Premiere are my main CPU hogs.

Finally, I just read about Apple's new CPUs, so maybe I should wait until next year to get one instead of a 2019. What do you think?
The AS Mac Pro is probably about two years out in the future. Can you wait?
The 7,1 is great for film editing using FCPX and for musical scoring using Logic. You can use Adobe Cloud applications but many posters complain about them not being optimized for the 7,1. I haven't had any issues with PP and don't use AE although those projects are small in scale in my case.
The AB Card does speed up encoding and decoding of multiple streams of 4k and 8k ProRes. CPU usage is negligible when working with ProRes; often less than 3%.
Had an editor open up Utilities on the current film and RAM is at 135 gb. I mention this so you can get an idea of what it takes for a full production with effects.
Not sure any of this helps, but maybe gives some idea.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.