What should I give to my girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nobita, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

I'm a mac user, I'm thinking of buying something for my girlfriend (who apparently is also a mac user) for this valentine. I was thinking to buy her an iPod, but she's already got one (even though not the newest one). Also in this economic crisis I was wondering if I can get something memorably that's less than say AU$100 (I live in Australia btw).

I was thinking I could get her my self made photo book from iPhoto. The printing cost from apple is somewhere around $40 for the hard cover, or about $25 for the soft cover. The thing is we've only been going out for 3-4 months, and I've only got so many photos of her. I don't know if I can fill the album with that many photos, but I could give it a shot first.

I was also wondering if I should instead give her something like a photo frame, or maybe something like jewelry. In addition to this $100 gift that I was gonna buy, I'm also thinking of buying a bouquet of rose.

Any suggestions from anyone? Thanks for reading this!

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Buy her a vacuum and some dish gloves.

Seriously though. It is tough to say since peoples relationships evolve at different rate and income is a factor too. For dating 3-4 months I would keep it simple. A box of chocolates, flowers and dinner.

You could also opt for dinner and a play or opera.

3. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If money is an issue then just be super nice to her for the day. Go do what she wants to do. Make her breakfast (with a rose on the side). Go for a nice walk together etc. etc. Then take her to a show in the evening (as mentioned above).

Depending on your age and moral compass you can do something nice for her when you get home too ;)

4. bartelby macrumors Core

That might be excessive. Maybe he should just give her one... ;)

5. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

If you have to ask this question, one has to wonder how well you know her... She's "apparently" a Mac user?

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Just make her a card and get her some flowers. I think anything more is a little excessive if you've only been dating a few months.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I bought a copy of last month's Architectural Digest, the one with Brad Pitt on the cover (she loves him ;)), and I've printed off frack-loads of 4"x6" photos of my girlfriend and I (individually, together, some friends, and even some animals), and I'm going to cut us out of the photos and glue them onto random pages within the magazine. The most important part is gluing my face over Brad Pitt's, which increased the value of that magazine five-fold, I reckon.

Yes, I always give extravagant gifts to my girlfriend. One time, I did something really different and bought her a bangle from Swarovski. It wasn't nearly as awesome as my DIY valentines day cards or other creations, but she still smiled and pretended to be happy.

8. nplima macrumors 6502a

I went a bit overboard this year... it's our first Valentine's day together... :)

The original idea was to offer her a new MP3 player because hers was broken, and I placed an order already; today I ended up getting her a nice perfume and a tennis racquet.
    The racquet I call the "selfish present" because I want to play doubles against a couple we know :)

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I would add, take her to someplace nice, that you haven't been to yet. Good luck.

10. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

I would start fairly simply, especially as it's only 3-4 months into the relationship. Just remember if you go crazy this time, she'll expect it every time there's an important date. You can't really go wrong with flowers and chocolates, even though it's not very exciting.

I'm also a little curious about the fact that she's 'apparently' a Mac user? Where are you, and where is she?

11. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Unfortunately, iPhoto books ship to USA and Canada only. I was thinking of the same thing until I came across the same problem. However, if you know anyone from the USA or Canada that can get it shipped to their address and then shipped it to you, then go ahead!

12. arnoud.delporte macrumors newbie

Hi,
    in my mother's family it's a tradition to buy people presents costing no more than 1,5 € (i.e. 2$ or £5). It's a great pain to find something suitable, but it's very rewarding if you get something that's 'just right' at that price.
    Greats,
    A.
    P.S.: You can always stuff the 'charming gift' with jewelry, just to be on the safe side.

****, I just realized!
    This is about Valentine, isn't it?
    Sorry pal, you're on you own. Where I come from, we don't do Valentine (just like christmas and patriotism). *read: period*

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If its Valentine Day crap, a card at most.

The first VD I bought my las girl friend 12 red and 6 white roses in a beautiful vase.

She loved them. when I got home she was googoo over them. then she turned to me don't ever do this again, understand!!!!!!:eek:

I married her. :D

14. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I hope I'm not the only person to miss "Valentine Day" and read VD for something else...

This entire thread became uncomfortable for me...

Congrat's on the wife, btw. :)

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Me too. If the OP has any diseases he wants to share, remember --- it's a present she'll keep for the rest of her life.

16. djellison macrumors 68020

Take her to an event. The theatre, a gig, if she's an animal lover, get her a keepers experience at a local zoo. Something cool, enjoyable, that doesn't take up shelf-space.

Doug

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iPhoto books have been available in Australia for over a year now, they ship to your door from Apple.

An update to iPhoto '08 brought in this functionality.

It's about A$48 for a 20 page hard cover book. This is not the old expensive 3rd party option but direct from Apple and they look good.

18. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm glad someone confirmed that the photo books from iPhoto '08 available in Australia. I was quite sure about this before I read doubleohseven's post because I've seen the price list on the Australia's website.

I think the zoo idea is quite good. I don't think there's any interesting gig in Sydney we could come over to watch next month (at least interesting to me).

I agree that I can't go wrong with a box of chocolate, a bouquet of flowers, and maybe some jewelery. She's not that into jewelery though, but is it safe to say that almost all women likes jewelery? I'd probably buy a box of nicely wrapped chocolates...

And by the way, I know her quite well even though we've only been going out for 4 months. I know her for almost a year before we started dating. I fixed her iMac once, showed her some interesting widgets, and fix her windows laptop before.

P.S. bruinsrme congrats on your wife... recently married?

By the way, does anyone know a romantic place we should go in Sydney? We don't really have cars, so we take trains. I've been to Opera house, darling harbour, beaches, and stuff like that. Any other romantic places I need to know?

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Rooty Hill RSL?

Or you could go get a couple of those t-shirts that say "I climbed Mt Druitt."

20. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

I lol'd. Hard. :D

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

We have been together since 1996.

We met while I was on duty while serving on the USS Michigan which was stationed out by Seattle, WA. I was off watch and logged into AOL and was in a chat room and saw her screen name and looked up her profile. She was from Massachusetts. We started chatting on a regular basis. One day I told her I will talk to her in 84 days, she said yeah whatever.
    While out to sea I got my follow on orders putting me back on the East Coast about 80 miles from where she lived. So about a month later I was driving east.
    We met, I paid for dinner, she paid for the movies and the rest is nearly 13 years of happiness.

For both of us it was our second marriage. Instead of the church wedding we took the families to Antigua for an absolutely beautiful, quaint, romantic wedding.

So no VD for either of us sorry to spoil it.

We celebrate Valentine's Day with a simple exchange of cards and dinner out the weekend before or after the actual day.

22. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

The gift that keeps on giving. :p

Brilliant idea about pasting your faces in the magazine. That's really creative.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

My girlfriend and I tend to put money together and get something we both want/need.

24. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Excellent idea.

I beleive Valentine's Day was made up by Hallmark to bridge the slow card selling period between Christmas and Easter.