What should I use to view my photos (stored on WinXP network machine)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by techmonkey, Dec 3, 2007.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I have a MBP with 120GB hdd. Since my WinXP machine has over 500GB storage, I store my photos there. I know that I can drag/drop photos into iPhoto and still keep the photos on my WinXP machine, but what happens when I rename or move files around on my WinXP machine? What happens when I add more photos, from what Ive read iPhoto doesn't monitor folders.

Any suggestions/tips please post. Im sure others are in the same situation as me.

Thanks.

2. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

I'd help you out but I dont use my Mac as my primary box and I dislike iphoto but I did do a quick google and I'm having a hard time finding anything relating iphoto to network storage of any kind. I know on windows, Picasa monitors folders but I dont even do that on my home server setup.

I pretty much manage my own folders and use the built in picture viewer in XP / Vista to view the folders. I just make folders that are relevant in terms of name and date and dump the files in those folders. All my pics as well as videos, documents or any data of any kind including music are stored on my windows 2000 server box which is a dual PIII machine with 1 Terrabyte of space as well as an additional Terrabyte for backup. Drives are so cheap that one can do this. Heck the PIII box (Dell server) was $100 used :)

Anyway I'd imagine iphoto wants to do the managing of the folders and names so you probably have to make your changes in iphoto and not on the file system itself. Its just a matter of pointing iphoto's library location to your windows box and adding the files to it (my guess).