What should my job title be? my boss asked me...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thecritix, Sep 23, 2009.

1. thecritix macrumors 6502

Hi Guys

My boss's former title was Web manager (I can't be web manager as it is still her role!) although she's now Head of Marketing and Web.. I applied for the position of Web content manager but I was titled web editor by my boss and everyone when I started..

Anyway, the companies changed a lot and people have left etc and since starting my job has evolved to take on the following roles.
    I discussed this with my boss who has asked me what I feel my new title ought to be:

The roles I perform:
    the general duties of a Web content manager plus..

SEO, affiliate schemes, partnerships, analytics reporting and tracking, Email marketing (building and designing/monitoring), affiliate schemes, site developments and upgrades liaising with the techies!

Does anyone have any ideas, she suggested something like Web Content & Retentions manager?

I want something that sounds good (obviously..) but also something that employers will look for in the future when looking for like a head of e-commerce or head of web type position.

Answers on a postcard!

Nick

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Does it really matter? It's like calling a shelf stacker a merchandise display expert or a bin man a waste tech!

As long as you get paid and people at your workplace know what your job is it dosnt require a title.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Agreed. I do some hiring and the first thing I do is ignore the applicant's previous titles and read their job responsibilities instead.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It does matter... sort of. The irony is that it really doesn't matter to your current employer because they already know what you do, but it does matter to others looking at your resume because it denotes the level and purpose of past employment.

To the OP, if you actually managed people (i.e. they reported to you) make sure 'Manager' is in that title somewhere, at the very least try to get the word 'Senior' in your position title. ;)

Looking at the brief job description how does "Manager, Web Content and Strategic Development" sound?

You're one of the rare ones then, the HR people I knew had around 400 applicants per job so when a computer didn't score the resume, they eliminated candidates by experience, education and title.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Master of the Interwebs, Ruler of the plethenons, and Destroyer of Peoples.

or

President of the United States.

I have to agree here, HR nutballs don't know the difference in your qualifications anyways, a good job title that sounds fancy may be all you need. Senior Executive Web Resource Manager

6. djellison macrumors 68020

No it doesn't. You don't look at the title - you look at the job description and the scope and scale of their responsibilities and abilities. A job title means very very little.

Given that - just swop editor for director if it makes you feel better :)

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

We are small (about 40 people) so there is no HR to filter anything out. If there is anything I learned during the hiring process, it is that companies don't normalize anything including titles. Thus, I completely ignore them.

8. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Unfortunately that's theory versus practice.

OP here's a link you might find useful, it's primarily used to check if you're getting compensated correctly (and PLEASE take that info with a grain of salt) but it does have some generic job descriptions that might help you make an informed decision what the market titles out there are.
    Payscale -UK version

10. lethalOne macrumors member

No, please don't do that!

A now extinct company I used to work for took great care to separate managers of people from managers of functions (ie. Product Managers or people with zero reports).

Manager, Systems meant you had staff.
    Systems Manager meant you had no staff.

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Technical Lead and Director of Retention.

be sure to abbreviate it as tl;dr on your business card.

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Title is important for someone scanning through a resume in the future, and it is quick one line summary that gives an idea of what you did.

Maybe if someone is hiring at a small company they wouldn't look at it, most companies do. HR def does.

13. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Web Marketing Maven?

It's your opportunity to jazz up the title a bit. Personally, I prefer 'Packet Plumber', but that's just me...

14. thecritix thread starter macrumors 6502

I completely understand..

Confectionary and refreshments manager could be tea boy..

But..

It's important to me! and I think it does make a difference to recruiters and potential employers in the future.

I think, Web Content & Retention Manager

Thoughts?

15. MacVixen macrumors 6502

As a former HR "nutball" :p I do think the title is important, but it needs to be something that makes sense so that people don't feel you are just the teaboy.

I like "Manager, Web Content and Strategic Development" that Raid suggested. It gives the impression that you are the main person in charge of a specific section of the organization, as opposed to a title of say, "Project Manager" which is a little more general.

Just my $0.02 :)

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

17. djellison macrumors 68020

Well - in practice - I take no notice of previous job titles when looking through CV's.

18. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

19. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

20. Surely Guest

Surely

Oh, it matters. Just ask Dwight.

[​IMG]

21. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

The systems ARE your staff! :D

22. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

.........whichever title gets you paid the most?

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Peon

because people pee on me ;)

seriously, titles are not a big thing.

24. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

LoL nice

25. Love macrumors 68000

Love