What Should the Role of Government Be & How Should They Pay For It?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by guzhogi, Apr 30, 2012.

1. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Just wondering what everyone's idea of a perfect government should be and how it should be funded?

Should citizenship be an issue? If so, how should it be handled?

How do you want to infrastructure (as in roads, airports, electricity, water, etc.) to be handled?

What other services do you want a government to provide, if any?

Big question: if you want the government to offer any services at all, how will they be funded?

Another question is: what laws & regulations should there be?

Should there be regulation on the environment?

Who's allowed to do what?

Thanks for the input!

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Payment is easy, it's called taxes...
    You may be trying to tackle a bit much with your post. :)

3. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I can't remember where I heard this, but - in a sentence - I believe the government exists to provide goods and services for which a citizen efficiently contract individually. (Because that is a single sentence, it is no doubt easy to find exceptions in it and problems with it, but I believe it is a reasonable, objective starting point.) For example, I - as an individual - cannot efficiently contract a court system, an defensive army, or roadways for my personal use.

Extending from that a bit, I recently heard a politician say the government should not be providing goods and services someone can secure via the internet. Again, a bit overly simplistic, but I agree with the general premise.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The perfect government would be powered by dreams and fueled by imagination with no need for funding...

[​IMG]

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411