What side of the political spectrum do you consider yourself?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DrewDaHilp1, Sep 15, 2016.

?

What side of the political spectrum do you consider yourself?

1. Left

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Right

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Moderate

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Independent

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Center Left

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  6. Center Right

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How about a slight variation?

You have to describe/guess the political leanings of the person who posted before you. If you guess right, that person has to like your post.

For instance ...

You, DrewDaHilp1, are a Rightie. You don't like to consider yourself a Republican, but you hold very conservative (and somewhat chaotic) values.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Poll is flawed. Moderate/centrist or illegal midgets are not options

4. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You're correct for the most part. I'm a rightie and I don't like to consider myself a republican. I consider myself a small "l" libertarian, I believe in individual Rights, and personal responsibility. I don't believe that the Founders meant for the Federal government to hold as much power as it does today, but the civil war and the confederacy's excuse of States Rights aka the right to own slaves ruined it.

Not sure on the "somewhat chaotic" values, I'll concede that the majority of my values would fall toward the conservative side fiscally, social I'm a live and let live person.

I wish I could go more in-depth about you, but I can't recall us having many back and forths. If memory serves me correct, I'm wanting to say that you lean more to the left. Anything I would say other than that, I would be making up. I know for a fact I have no ill thoughts or will towards you nor anyone else on this forum no matter how different our opinions may be.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2016 ---
    3rd parties are flawed as they have never realistically had a chance./ quasi sarcasm. I will see if I can change the poll.

5. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

it is interesting to note that although technically george washington belonged to no party, he was sympathetic to the federalists who advocated for a more powerful central govt. opposite of thomas jefferson.

i wonder a lot actually if those guys could be transported to 2016 and see what they think of politics

6. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

If they weren't being jailed and no knocked raided, too busy hitting up the brothels(Looking at you Franklin) I imagine they would be shooting by now.

Side note have you watched the TV show Sleepy Hollow? I like his response.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

@impulse462 mentioned Jefferson, which reminded me of a quote of his I'd read recently. In the quote he said that there were three kinds of governments: one, like the Indians, where each man was free to live as he wanted, with few governmental constraints; two, systems like the U.S., which tried to extend as much freedom as possible minimize constraints; and three, governments that didn't value freedom and put their citizens under greater constraint.

Jefferson said that of those three systems, he personally preferred the Indian system. However, due to the population that required governing, he knew that was untenable, therefore making the second system ... America's system ... the preferred one to operate under. Jefferson knew that in a complex and populated society, pure individual liberty had to weighed against the needs of the whole. And that is even truer today than it was over 200 years ago.

It seems to me that small "l" libertarians still cling to the belief that they should be able to live like Jefferson's Indians, free of government control and constraint, unconcerned about the whole of society, and chafing at the prospect that they are beholden to it any way. Jefferson knew it was an unrealistic outlook back then. It is even more unrealistic today.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

A single left/right axis doesn't do it for me either. I'm very far on the freedom side of the personal freedom/authoritarian scale, and, I'm a moderate pragmatic social democrat on the social economy scale. Government does some things better, private industry does some things better. I'm somewhere in the middle on that scale.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2016 ---
    Seems like small "l" libertarians had a point out on the frontier -- if you don't look at what happened to the aforesaid Indians. Jefferson was right about dense populations-- Libertarianism doesn't work very well in cities. And personally-- I prefer representative government to despotism.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Actually there is no spectrum (a useful, single dimension along which all political views can be plotted). That being said, the closest I can come to describing myself is center left. I want the US government to reduce its interference and surveillance of people's personal lives. I also want it to focus more on equality, for the we now have a runaway richer-take-all system. I do not think focusing on those who have the least power in our society – immigrants, minorities and poor people – is the way to do that. Tax the rich until we return to some sort of balanced society in which the playing field is more level (hint: if you're bothered to read MR, you're not rich). I'm tired of trickle-down economics, it's like getting pissed on from high.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm hoping more people answer this question to get a good picture. It is interesting so far though.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I consider myself center left. I used to split my tickets occasionally and thus was voting rather independently of my always Democratic party registration. I have moved left as a direct result of the GOP's ongoing shift to the right. So if the Republicans mean to win elections by attracting voters from outside their traditional demographics, they're doin' it worng.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I style myself as a "small c" conservative. I despise the NeoCons; they're all statists, in love with Big Government. I'm fiscally conservative. My big gripe with Liberal ideas is that they rarely look deeply into side-effects and potential unintended consequences which are often harmful. My argument is less with the goals than with the methodology.

Many of my views are from the standpoint of an engineer/mechanic/car racer: If it doesn't work, why do we have it?

Ignoranti claim that conservatives are afraid of change. BS. I've seen more changes in the world than anybody who's ever posted on this forum. (At age 82, that seems rational. :)) But change should be an improvement for all, not just for a limited few.