What software to browse my movie collection on my MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amiskwia, Jan 26, 2008.

1. amiskwia macrumors newbie

Hello everybody!! I'm looking for a program that will let me browse all the movies I have on my computer, but with a nice user interface. I don't like browsing my movies with Finder, and I was wondering if there is any alternative. Something like an equivalent of iTunes for movies.
    Thanks for the help.

2. McGiord, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Place all your movies in your user Movies folder and use Front Row,
    also I suggest you tu use the miniDVI to DVI video adater with a cable to connect it to a big screen LCD TV if you have one, the experience is pretty nice.
    Also if you have Leopard the finder's cover flow view is another option.
    ________
    Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe specifications

3. amiskwia thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of something more along the line of an interface where I could browse my movies using their DVD covers. If I use coverflow or FrontRow all I see is the first frame of the movie, wich is usually the Universal, Columbia, 20th Century, etc. logo.
    Thanks.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

In iTunes you can change cover art for movies the same as you can for music. Just find an image of the DVD cover on Amazon (or wherever), select the movie in iTunes, go to File > Get Info, click on the Artwork tab, and drag the image into the Artwork window.

5. amiskwia thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that all my movies are DivX or Xvid, so I can't import them to iTunes.
    Thanks for all the help.

6. numlock macrumors 68000

if you open them in quicktime and save it as a reference movie or open it in mpeg streamclip and save the file as a .mov then you can import the resulting .mov into itunes (note you cant transfer that file to an ipod or iphone)

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no transcoding in that process? Will this procedure produces Frankenstein video files that only quicktime can read?

in QuickTime? not quiktime pro?

how fast the process is?

now, if anybody would like to port kaffeine to OSX.

[​IMG]

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can link Delicious Library to files, although you may want to wait for v2 :)

9. numlock macrumors 68000

no. since its only a reference file the original is still around so that can still be used.

perhaps you need quicktime pro.

Takes a few seconds.

The mpeg streamclip method is free but takes a little bit longer and at least i could play the resulting .mov file in vlc.

10. amiskwia thread starter macrumors newbie

Saving all my movies with Quicktime Pro and later importing to iTunes would work, but having to do it with all my movies is kind of a pain. Are there any other alternatives where I don't have to modify all my files?
    Thanks.

11. amiskwia thread starter macrumors newbie

I just installed Delicious Library v1.6.6 and it looks great. That's the kind of program I'm looking for, but I can't figure out how to link the DVDs in the program to the actual files. How do you do it?
    Thanks for the help.

12. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

psychofreak wasn't very clear but that's a feature coming with Delicious Library 2.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

14. .adam macrumors regular

How about yFlicks?

Not free but seems to do what you're looking for.

15. numlock macrumors 68000

to get the files into itunes you always have to save a reference file or save the movie in another format. Thats just the way it is.

Perhaps there is a script out there for quicktime pro but i do think you should be able to use the batch process in mpeg streamclip to save as .mov. But you will end up with an equally big file so you either keep an .avi and .mov or delete the .avi

16. amiskwia thread starter macrumors newbie

yFlicks is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks for all the help everybody.

17. 2Shae macrumors 6502

Delicious Library looks nice, but the only con is that you can play your movies from it, but you can keep a good looking collection.

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can launch your movies with some trickery, and the feature is coming fully in v2 :)

Delicious Library lets you assign a URL to an item in the "My Info" section of an item's details. To assign a URL to an item, switch to the "My Info" section tab and turn on editing by pressing the Edit Item (pencil) button. Now you can assign a value to the "URL" field.

In addition to URLs on the Internet, this field also supports URLs that point to files or folders on your hard drive. To make this process easier, you can turn on a special feature of Delicious Library that includes a "Choose File" menu option for the URL field.

To enable this feature, you must use the Terminal application found in /Applications/Utilities/. In the Terminal, type:

Code:
    defaults write com.delicious-monster.library LIEnableChooseFile YES

Now when you re-launch Delicious Library, the URL field will contain a "Choose File" menu option that allows you to select a file or
    folder to open.