what sort of "Change" are you looking for?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squeeks, Oct 20, 2008.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

im just curious the type of change obama and everyone is campaigning for

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

How about govt for the people of the united states and not multinational corporations? Thats the change Iam hoping Obama can bring.

4. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

ok, thats, fine, but doesnt really answer my question, what do you want to see happening differently in the US?

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I like your question. I think you can assume, however, that you will not get specific answers here. Like my five-year old son, many posters in this forum have a surgical ability to tell you what they don't want, but a reluctance or inability to tell you what they do want.

6. Queso macrumors G4

For a start a less confrontational and polarised view of what America's role in the world should be. The past eight years have been about good vs. evil, with us or against us, exporting "democracy" etc. It's caused no end of damage across the globe and radicalised an entire generation of youngsters in the developing world. It's also opened the floodgates for any country more powerful than its neighbour to take unilateral action.

The first step of America re-engaging the world should be the immediate closure of the Gitmo camps and ending of extraordinary rendition flights. Without that the USA is still going to be very much on its own.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And after Queso, how about a return to an Enlightment sort of view, where the rights of and the laws protecting the people are not infringed (PATRIOT Act, TSA, Pro-IP Act, retroactive Telco immunity, and other laws sacrificing freedoms for security, etc.).

BL.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'll take a five, 4 ones and 4 quarters, thank you. Should be just about right for a cheap whore, strip club and slot machines in Vegas :D

9. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

10. yoppie macrumors 6502a

LOL.

I'll take all the change I can get, thank you. The U.S. is in bad shape. Give me 1,000 pennies. :D

11. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Open diplomatic foreign policy. No saber-rattling.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

13. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

End the Bush-doctrine of preemptive war.

Bring the troops home immediately and orderly.

Allow multi-independent auditing of the Federal Reserve.

Allow freedom to reign instead of big-government.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The loose change in Bill Gates' and Warren Buffet's sofas.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nothing like making that assumption at Post #5 and calling the thread at that...

And of course, you followed your own script, and -- like a 5 year old -- didn't add anything of value to the thread you crapped in.

Anyway... I'd like to see a return to a leadership that respects their opposition and doesn't resort to calling them petty names. I'd like to see fiscal sanity return to Washington. I'd like to see diplomacy conducted honestly and openly. I'd like to see solutions to the wars we're fighting that are not driven by domestic political concerns. I'd like to see competent responses to natural disasters. I'd like to see the inJustice Department work to regain some much needed credibility. I'd like to see torture in my name stopped. I'd like to see Guantanamo closed. I'd like to see fair trials for terrorism suspects such that the world accepts the outcomes. I'd like to see TIA die off. I'd like to see the PATRIOT Act repealed. I'd like to see an emphasis placed on energy independence.

But mostly I'd like to see the grownups back in charge again.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, and that I'm acting like a 5-year old...

16. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

mactastic:

Why do you assume I am talking about you? Why so defensive?

17. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I'm looking forward to having an intelligent president again.

There are a lot of areas where Obama will at least begin to turn around the terrible policies of George W. -- tax policy, Iraq, human rights, individual freedoms. (if that's not specific enough, look in the thread about why is Obama so great)

I think one main difference with Obama is that he calculates and plans ahead, and thinks through consequences for the short-term and the long-term. Bush acts on responding to everything in an emergency basis. People were warning about the housing bubble and Bush's administration was still pushing increased borrowing, for example. The only long-term plan he put through was NCLB, but that was a terrible bill, and he used faulty and false data to support the plan.

So, Obama has a long-term plan on energy, vs. a slogan by McCain's campaign. It's the same with many areas of government. Obama's accused of having no substance, but he actually has pretty detailed and very well-thought-out plans for many areas, while McCain just says "this needs to be fixed." McCain does have one pretty detailed plan (in addition to doubling down on Bush's outrageous tax policy): health care, and that is also a terrible plan, that will make the health-care crisis worse.

18. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    You indicted a bunch of random people and did not provide an on-topic answer of your own. I thought your post was a little rude too. Moreover, to answer again and not post anything on-topic only deepens the problem. Personally, I've seen the trend on this board, follow the pattern that has many of the more insightful posters quickly to assume someone a "troll" and proceed to humor themselves with somewhat chiding, non-responsive answers. I don't think its necessarily "immature" so much as possibly "cynical". Calling cynical people "childish" however, either earns contempt or more sarcasm (or both). Just my opinion.

Anyway... regarding the type of "change" I'm looking for?

CHANGE: ENERGY FUTURE

I'm irritated that we've lost a decade to having real concerns about our energy future only get "lip-service". I'm saddened to watch videos like "Who Killed the Electric Car", and feel as if our current administration here in America, is one of the prime suspects. I want to see a government that doesn't simply reward "greed", but "innovation". I'd like to see alternative power and energy independence portrayed, not simply as another election-time promise that goes unfulfilled, but as an initiative as important as getting to the moon.

CHANGE: FRESH LEADERSHIP

I want a new generation of president with the proven ability to communicate his vision of a stronger, more capable America to his administration... a vision that is as consistent and creative as it is practical and well-devised. Obama's economic advisor spoke of Obama's preference of an "iPod government". One quote put it best:
    It's not enough to simply have "neat ideas" about what to do with government, its important to have a "VISION" of what can be accomplished with those ideas.

CHANGE: REAL TRANSPARENCY

It was Obama who didn't simply TALK about "transparency" in Government, but joined together with Republican Senator Colburn, in introducing what they nicknamed "Google for Government". While McCain often pointed to the website "Citizens Against Government Waste", Obama co-sponsored legislation that made the government accountable for ITSELF ( www.USASpending.gov ).
    While John McCain is famous for saying that he'll veto pork barrel projects and regarding their lobbyists... "make them famous", Obama has supported shining a genuine light on government spending, and helping to make our leaders more accountable through the distribution of technology tools.

CHANGE: TECHNOLOGY

From the start, Obama has proven to be worthy of the mantle of "First Internet President" (if elected), just as Roosevelt was our first "radio" President, by being the first to effectively utilize the technology to reach millions of American households through his "fireside chats". The Obama campaign not only created and applied never-before used technologies, but did so with style and clarity. Some examples being their interactive phone bank, avid YouTube publishing, and their recent iPhone app. When Obama spoke at Google, and said he'd make Chief-Technology Officer a cabinet level position, it didn't sound like an empty promise, it sounded like one piece of a larger puzzle.

CHANGE: CONNECTEDNESS

As a community organizer and civil rights lawyer, Obama, CEO of Obama for America, has an intimate understanding of people that is unique to him. Regardless of the allegations of "elitism", he didn't come from money... and his first book, "Dreams of my Father" was a failure before it was later rereleased to wide acclaim. In his background, he brings an intellectual wit, and as Powell's recent endorsement noted, a "curiosity" that is very refreshing and seemingly open to constant improvement. He stands in a historic place, that allows him to pull from his upbringing by white grandparents, his experiences as a black male, and his perspective as a mixed race adult married to an African American woman. From this place, and his early experiences abroad... he has a unique ability to inspire and capture the hope, empathy and convictions of a broad range of Americans and people all over the world.

Obama is certainly an imperfect servant, but a unique and promising leader. That's the type of change I'm looking for.

--And its sorely need.

~ CB

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I want to see a President who believes the world's opinion of us matters.

I want to see a reverse in the trend of an ever-increasing ratio of average CEO salary to average worker salary.

I want to see a change from a preemptive foreign defense policy.

I want to see a real dedication to alternative energy sources, even if it means a little tax payer pain.

I want to see a medical system that enters the 21st century, ie takes advantage of computer records. It also needs to focus on preventative care.

Some of these things Obama can bring about. Others he can't, but he has a better shot at it than McCain in my eyes.

20. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Good responses in this thread so far. I'll just touch on some of the hits.

I want:

A change in the mood of the populace. I know that one is a little naive, but I can't help it. I'm so worn out on pessimism and divisiveness.

A reversal of the current trend of anti-intellectualism.

A rejection of the idea that diplomacy is appeasement.

A president who believes the jury has been in on global warming.

Leaders to lead.

Health Care reform. It is my humble opinion that in the richest country in recorded history, health care being sold as a commodity is morally bankrupt and senseless. We need to follow Europe/Canada's lead on this one. The fact that that is such an unpopular opinion in America baffles me.

Energy Independence discussions/planning/investing/inventing/testing.

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think several popular and unpopular things will happen and I agree on them.

1) lower taxes for over 90% percent of us
    2) a partial, yet major pullout from Iraq but far slower than anybody can imagine due to the deep mess W put us in

3) increased military presence in Afghanistan
    4) a recovery of our economy, but slower than expected
    5) a higher presidential approval rating for Obama than Bush ever had through most of his career

6) initial anger at Obama for not pulling us out of the recession quickly but a realization that W put us into a hole hard to climb out of
    7) an overall more positive attitude for the democrats for years to come, even beyond Obama's term(s) in the White House

8) a realization that Obama is a great president during a hard time to be president and that history will look on him favorably, even though some will be too demanding of him in the next few months starting in January

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If Obama is elected his presidency will depend in large on the make up of Congress.

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Have you seen the House and Senate predictions? It's very, very blue. Fivethirtyeight.com

Where the White House is looking somewhat blue-ish, the Congress is pure deep indigo :)

24. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

exactly why the country has been going down hill that past two years since the dems. got a hold of it:D

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You can't be serious, right?

If so, have you truly looked at the numbers for why the Blues have control over Congress? It isn't just about majority, but true control in Congress relies on having the numbers there to override a Presidential veto, let alone have the numbers to safely pass laws without them being blocked/filibustered. The House barely has those numbers (but not the 2/3rds it would need to be safe), and the Senate is split 49/49 (for all intents/purposes, Lieberman is a Red). Add in a split vote on a bill in the Senate, and the tiebreaking vote goes to Cheney.

So anything the Blues do, the Reds block, and vice versa Stalemate, and that's why progress has been pants. As the saying goes, "The opposite of Progress is Congress."

BL.