What specs / features will be missing from the "cheap" iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waa1futs, Jul 6, 2013.

1. waa1futs macrumors 6502

When Apple debuts both the iPhone 5s and the "cheap" iPhone this fall I assume that Apple will intentionally leave out specs / features from the lesser version in order to entice people to buy the more expensive flagship model (the 5 and 5s). I mean they wouldn't just simply charge $200 - 250 less for just having a plastic shell right? :confused:

What specs / features do you think will be missing from the "cheap" iPhone? (compared to the iPhone 5 or 5s)

2. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

Probably processor and camera will be downgraded.

3. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Do camera components really cost that much more to justify the addition of this device? I know it'll be of lower quality but it doesn't make sense. Surely the price difference of the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4's camera (for example) aren't very much.

4. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

They're not, but if Apple releases a cheaper iPhone, they will make the iPhone 5s/6 more appealing.

5. waa1futs thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by downgraded? 8mp? 5mp? 3mp? Dual core? Single core? A5? A6? A7?

Please give specifics as to what you think the specs will be :)

Also are there any other hardware/software features you think would be missing?

6. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Processor and camera are the only things I can think of off the top of my head.

I wonder if they will increase the iPhone 5S camera to 13MP and use 8MP in the "cheaper" iPhone?

7. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

But what's the benefit (to the company and the customers alike) of creating an entirely new phone with minor downgrades (in terms of cost). Obviously we don't know what these downgrades will consist of... this is just speculation.

8. Rcflex, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013

Rcflex macrumors member

Rcflex

If this is true that there going to release this... Then well, I guess depending on the price... The plastic model will be a basic no frills just to get people up to date in tech by upgrading to a smart phone for non-tech or caring folks... This phone will use whichever CPU and GPU that apple can buy/or mass produce and make a profit... It would probably be using a dual core CPU and use the last gen GPU, as that tech should be cheap for apple to buy and/or mass produce ... It would also probably have 16GB of storage and use a decent quality screen (of course not a retina display)....

Well that's my 2 cents I just thought of for the phone...

Peace,

Rc

9. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I doubt that it will be downgraded much from the flagship device. They could really risk messing up the user experience. The "lower end" phone will still need to be able to run the latest apps and possess a majority of the features of the flagship device to make it at all desirable. Possibly just the last generation camera and processor.
    It's also possible that Apple won't sell the device in the U.S. and just reserve it for more emerging markets. After all, they're certainly not having any trouble moving iPhones.

10. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

I believe Apple is trying to completely rid itself of the 30 pin connector for all of its products. The plastic iPhone should replace the 4S as the "free" upgrade. I expect it to have similar specs to the 4S with minor bumps all around, but still below the 5.

11. waa1futs thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree on keeping up the user experience but then my question is this: if the "cheaper" free on contract iPhone has the last generations processor and camera (from the iPhone 5), why would anyone pay $100 with contract for the iPhone 5 instead of getting the same internals for free? :confused:

How about LTE?

12. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Prior to retina, the iPhone and iPod touch had different quality screens, even though the resolution was the same.

I could see Apple doing something similar, especially if they adopt IGZO for the 5S. Then keep the current IPS for the cheaper model.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm guessing it could be things like WiFi -- iPhone 5S/6 will have ac, this one only n -- perhaps LTE, undoubtedly processor, maybe RAM.

The key here is to remember the price issue is in countries where contract subsidies aren't a thing. This would be a foolish device if everyone bought phones on 2-year contracts starting at $199. But elsewhere and maybe in the U.S., many people -- if not most -- buy them for full price.

I'm wondering if the phones will start at 8GB. I think an 8GB phone is useless since you actually end up with 5GB and I remember the hell of the original 8GB iPhone. But I'm guessing there are plenty of people who will never load a song or video on the phone.

14. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Apple can and should just sell the iPhone 5 as the cheaper alternative when the iPhone 5S debuts.

Why go through all the trouble to come up with a cheaper iPhone with inferior specifications as compared to last year's model (iPhone 5)?

15. 617aircav Suspended

That's what they will do. The cheaper iPhone is a rumor that does not compute. Nothing about apple is cheap.

16. waa1futs thread starter macrumors 6502

People here used to say the same "it'll never happen" to the rumor of a cheaper iPad (mini) being made by Apple as well ;)

17. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

New MacBook Air, iPad mini, MacBook, Mac mini, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod mini...

Apple has had a "pro" line and a consumer line for a long time. Why not do the same with the iPhone in certain markets?

18. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Sorry Beeplance. That makes far too much sense. :D

Just lower the iPhone 5 a bit more, and sell it cheaper for the third world countries and those that can't afford the newest models. Seems simple to me, but some manufacture don't know how to do SIMPLE :confused:

19. cynics macrumors G3

I feel like a "cheap" iPhone is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Want a cheap iPhone right now? Get an 8 gb iPhone 4 directly from Apple unlocked for $450 or $0 on contract.

But if you think about it where would a cheap iPhone fit in? Its has to have the specs of the previous model to avoid fragmentation (remember how fast Apple killed the ipad 3). Lets pretend a cheap iPhone came out when the 5 did.

16 gb iPhone 5 is 650. And the 16 gb 4S is 550. Soooo.... 600 for a "cheap" iPhone? What's the subsidiary on contract for that 5-10 bucks? So 199 for the flagship model and 189 for the dumb down version on contract?

If we lowered the price of the 4S (its really tough not to smile while thinking about Apple lowering the price of anything) even then its still not a large enough difference to squeeze in a cheap iPhone.

To be honest I don't see Apple lowering the price of prior models either. Ever since the 2nd gen iPhone came out they've had a cheap model.

----------

Also, I feel like people that would buy the "cheap" model are the same people that would just buy previous generations. They just want an iPhone.

I have 2 friends that just recently bought iPhone 4S's. They don't care, they wanted an iPhone, didn't want to spend a lot of money and Apple had a solution for them.

20. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

The answer everyone should be giving is "I don't know" because no one knows XP

I SPECULATE that the processor will likely be the A5, out of the 4S and probably the same camera hardware as what's in the 4S as well. It's not the highest end, but it has worked before.
    I think the cheap iPhone idea is a good one coming from Apple, they don't aim to make a lower end product ever and depending on how compliant Carriers are with their plans, it will impact the market in their favour.

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Because the 4 has a 30 pin connector. The lightning connector is a big reason for a whole new "cheaper" phone.

22. alexforget82 macrumors regular

iPhone 5S : A7 Dual-Core, 2GB RAM (not sure for this!!), 32/64/128GB, 4" screen, 13 MPIX, Fingerprint

iPhone 5 : A6 Dual-Core, 1GB RAM, 16/32/64GB, 4" screen, 8MPIX

iPhone Low-Cost : A5 Dual-Core, 1GB RAM, 8/16GB, 4" screen, 8MPIX

23. cynics macrumors G3

Maybe I'm not following you but when the next iPhone comes out the 5 will be 100 dollars cheaper and it uses the lightning connector.

And even if it didn't why does that matter? The 4 and 4S will always use a 30 pin connector and will always be cheaper then the latest generations. Aside from being a more "expensive" connector and cable does it offer any additional functionality? (Aside from being reversible)

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Apple don't want to be selling the 4s and 5 when the 5s come out. The 4s and 5 eat into there profits.

Missing feature will be retina display

25. Mr.Dave macrumors newbie

I would bet the screen keeps the retina resolution but is of a lower quality (brightness, color accuracy, etc). I do think LTE will be left out along with a lower camera spec and slightly lower CPU/RAM. Also by making the device thicker I bet they can use lower-cost components.

It's also obvious, as others mentioned, Apple wants to maintain consistency with the lightning connector.

Although it may be tricky to see this as a smart move, I trust Apple has crunched the numbers such that a new budget model will yield better profit - as well as a better user experience - than continuing with the 4s.