What speed is the mechanical portion of the 1TB Fusion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by keystothecity, Dec 11, 2013.

1. keystothecity macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I've looked all over the place for this info, and I can't seem to find it. I'm wondering if somebody can help me out.

What speed is the mechanical drive in the 1TB Fusion Drive on the 2013 iMac? is it 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM?

Thanks for your help!

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

3. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

As far as I can tell, that only gives the speed of the default HDD, not the speed of the mechanical part of the Fusion Drive?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Just to clarify -
    the 21-inch iMac HD is a 2.5-inch drive, and is 5400 rpm, same with the fusion option.

The 27-inch uses a 3.5-inch spinning drive - and, I expect, would be 7200 rpm for the spinning drive in the fusion option.

So, it would depend on which iMac you get.

5. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

If that's the case then no Fusion for the 21" iMac I'm about to buy, 256GB SSD instead

6. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

On the 1Tb fusion drives, they were coming with either a WD or Seagate drive - it's known the Seagate is faster then the WD.

However, all the 3TB drive from the late '12 fusion drives were Seagate (I guess that's the same for late '13 version)

Just do a search and you'll find some Blackmagic speeds for the drives.

7. keystothecity thread starter macrumors member

I find it really odd that Apple doesn't mention what speed the mechanical portion of the 1TB Fusion drive is. I'm looking specifically at a 2013 27 inch model with a fusion drive.

I tried using the live chat function on Apple's website but the rep there didn't know either.

8. keystothecity thread starter macrumors member

Just thought I would provide a quick update:

It is a 7200 RPM drive that is used in the 1TB Fusion on the 2013 27 iMac. You can check my navigating to About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Sata/Sata Express

The info about both drives will be displayed in that location. Hope this helps anyone else who was curious like me.