What "sports" do you not consider to be sports?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

This thread over in the Current Events forum got me thinking about the whole debate over what sports are really sports.

So - what activities that some people call sports do you not consider to be sports yourself?

Let me get the ball rolling with:

Not Sports

Racing (You're just driving a car. Talk about hand eye coordination all you want, but to me it's no different than the afternoon commute.)

Fishing (Sitting in a boat with a six pack is not a sport.)

Poker (Do I even have to explain this one? Sitting on your rear smoking cigars is not a sport, even if you're holding playing cards while doing it.)

Golf (Maybe, just maybe, if you carried your own clubs. Otherwise, walking around and drinking Iced Tea is not a sport.)

Debatably Sports

Pool (You're hitting a ball with a stick. I guess that's kind of like baseball.)

Darts (There's a lot more movement involved than racing...)

Bowling (Arguably very physical.)

Most Certainly Sports

Skateboarding (Grueling, high-risk of injury. This one's as much a sport as any other.)

Ping Pong/Table Tennis (If tennis is a sport, so is this.)

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Any form of competition can be argued to be considered "sport". Some are organized, some require physical skill, some require mental skill, some utilize props, some use technology, some are individualized, some are team based, some involve physical contact, some make you wealthy, some will drive you broke, some are considered dangerous, some are believed to be completely safe, some pit the individual against nature, etc. etc.

The point is there's no right answer and thus it becomes a matter of individual opinion. And, in a forum like this it will most likely lead to silly arguments.

That being said, in my opinion, all "sports" fall short when compared to:

[​IMG]

:D:D:D

3. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Baseball is certainly a sport, you have to play it to understand just how hard it really is.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Wii (Sports)

Darts

Bowling

Target Shooting (Arrow or Gun)

Just about anything else that doesn't require great physical abilities.

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Never been in a go-kart? You should read this and this and as much as I don't like left-turn racing, see this.

All of these from a 2 minute google search

6. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

TS is way off base on Racing. It is most definitely a sport.

7. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

synchronized swimming.

add sharks, and maybe you can call it a sport.

maybe

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, way off on racing. Sure, it's like driving in traffic. If you have people inches away from your front and rear bumpers and doors. While driving a car with no power steering or A/C. At 200 MPH.

I agree with poker. Why does ESPN show this stuff? Then again, they used to show spelling bees and Magic: The Gathering tournaments.

I don't think table tennis is. In real tennis, you have to run and cover a lot of ground. Not so much in table tennis.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Table tennis is not a sport it is an activity. Curling not a sport, or bowling

10. Dagless Suspended

Dagless

As this thread was loading (bad internet :eek:) the 3 on my mind really were;
    And poker.

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

If you have to purchase something which is not "standardized" to a specification found everywhere...its not a sport...its showing who has the best crap.

Take golf or bowling for example.

Both can be played by anyone. But you also can have things custom made for you that give YOU an unfair advantage over someone who either cant afford, or doesnt know about, the object.

Albeit a better driver club or a weighted ball for your twisting right spins.

If its not skills you are showing off, but how you can modify them with something (albeit not steroids, but its not far off) you purchased, its not a sport.

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

anything that requires subjective judging is not a sport, but an exhibition.

activities where there is no significant physical activity (chess, card games, board games, fishing, fussbal)

all "targeting" activities are borderline at best (archery, shooting in any form, darts, bowling, bocce, curling, pool, golf, mini-golf, skee-ball)

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

so cycling is not a sport? tennis? even track and field use specialized shoes.

14. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

You'd be eliminating 75% of the threads here if we got rid of these types of discussions...

;)

None of those links even change my mind slightly.

Is riding a NASA shuttle a sport? You probably need to be equally fit to do that...

I think you make the best case yet for how to classify sport from non-sport.

15. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Yes, but the computer does the takeoff, I think. One wrong move going 200mph and you will lose an arm and a leg.

16. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Anyone who thinks racing isn't a sport should try driving a NASCAR car. At some of the tracks, they do an even where you can pay some money and drive an actual NASCAR race car for a few laps around the track. If your upper body isn't in great shape, you will be worn out. I can't imagine doing it for several hours straight with several other cars inches away from you.

17. gibbz macrumors 68030

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

There was a time when I raced shifter karts, and spent more than a few weekends at the track in full sized vehicles, and it's definitely not a 'weekend drive'. In the karts, I've lost as much as ten pounds in the Texas heat racing over the course of a day.

I'm not saying it makes me some sort of athlete, but it's definitely physically strenuous. And usually my sessions on the track were an hour or less in duration. I don't know how the professionals do it.

19. Elixer macrumors regular

Sports
    - Racing, although I'm not a huge fan of Nascar or anything.
    - Vollyball, I suck at it.
    - Rock Climbing

Not Sports IMO
    - Ribbon dancing, lol. (Love that Bernie Mac episode)
    - Chess
    - Poker (Some one stated earlier)
    - Billiards / Darts
    - Bowling, I used to bowl on a team definitely not a sport.
    - Rollerderby...
    - Figure skating

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Devils advocate, if figure skating isn't a sport where does that leave hockey?

21. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

they arent fair sports at all...its more about being able to show whats the best equipment, not the best person.

this doesnt take away from athletic abilities, but it certainly fails to show them off properly.

22. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

American Football, since it's just a bunch of corporate-driven, silly neanderthals clobbering and playing grab-ass with each other.

23. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I agree that it's too corporate driven, but it's pretty hard to argue against the level of athleticism required to perform at that level. I have the same view of the NBA.

24. egamble macrumors newbie

Those people who don't consider ping pong a sport because they think you don't run while playing clearly don't know what playing competitive ping pong is like. I get a real workout playing against good players.