What steps do I need to take to ensure I'll be able to restor and jailbreak again...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by erkanasu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

I'm currently running 4.0.1 jailbroken (jailbreakme.com).

People keep talking about saving "shsh blob". I don't know what the hell this even is.

What are the exact steps I need to take to ensure I will be able to update the phone in the future (and then also jailbreak again)?

Many thanks!

2. deenybird macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

That link doesn't help much at all.
    The word on the street is that we should all save our 4.1 blobs asap. But updating to 4.1 isn't worth it yet as most cydia apps still need to be updated...
    So how can we save our 4.1 blobs while staying on our jailbroken 4.0.1?

3. idevSteve macrumors member

The link I provided explains that. Navigate to the TinyUmbrella README link or here this should be easier.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7078752/ReadMe/ReadMe2.pdf

4. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the link, but can you answer my question in the post? I downloaded the file and read the readme... I still don't know WHY im doing this and what this is for. Thanks

5. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

That's because you didn't read. The tinyumbrella site explains SHSH if you'll just look there (or here) for it. But if you want to be spoon fed, whenever you restore or update a firmware through iTunes, it will check with Apple to "sign" the firmware. SHSH is the encryption mechanism that ties a particular firmware to your specific device. This encryption scheme cannot be hacked. Apple will sign firmware for your device, but only the firmware that they are currently providing. You can no longer get Apple to sign 4.0.1 firmware. When you use TinyUmbrella to get your SHSH, it stores them on Cydia's servers. You can then redirect iTunes to look for the firmware signature (SHSH) on Cydia's servers instead of Apple's servers. You'll have to Google how to do this re-direct. If you had saved your 4.0.1 SHSH with Cydia, then you can restore your iPhone to iOS 4.0.1. But if you did not save your SHSH with Cydia when Apple was signing them, then you'll never be able to restore to iOS 4.0.1. It doesn't matter that you are at 4.0.1 right now. Since there is an exploit and jailbreak for 4.1 and Apple is signing 4.1, then you would be smart to use TinyUmbrella and save your 4.1 SHSH to Cydia servers now. It is thought that Apple will patch limera1n exploit and release 4.1.1 soon. When they do, they will no longer be signing 4.1 firmware.