What stops Dell from reselling retail copies of OS X?

jessearl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
89
0
With the recent threads regarding Michael Dell stating he would be interested in selling Mac OS X on Dell computers, what stops Dell from purchasing Mac OS X retail versions and selling it installed on their computer hardware?
 

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
1,790
1
Germany
The fact that Mac OS X doesn't work on their PC hardware. Even the recompiled version that is made for the Intel Macs probably won't work.
 

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
438
0
Veldek said:
The fact that Mac OS X doesn't work on their PC hardware. Even the recompiled version that is made for the Intel Macs probably won't work.
I'll change your statement slightly to add emphasis. ;)

It can read: Even the recompiled version that is made for the Intel Macs won't work/run on PCs.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
if apple inc can make serious money (we are talking microsoft bucks) selling their os, then so be it...margin of profit on an os/software product is about twice of that of any hardware product in the industry

if apple can somehow convice dell, compaq/hp, toshiba, and sony that os x is the way to go, then apple inc could be the next microsoft and be top dog (where i believe they belonged in the first place)

some of the profits can go into further os x and apple hardware r & d
 

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
579
0
Cincinnati, OH
While the move to intel assumes that any comptuer will now run OS X. It's not. Apple is still going to make hardware proprietary, because that's what apple is.
 

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
1,455
0
The costs would be astronomical because they would have to purchase at full retail.
 

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
1,373
0
California
Its the same reason you dont see windows mobile on palm pda even though they both are using intel's arm chip. They are just not compatible and for a good reason too.
 

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
1,506
0
Washington, D.C.
jefhatfield said:
if apple inc can make serious money (we are talking microsoft bucks) selling their os, then so be it...margin of profit on an os/software product is about twice of that of any hardware product in the industry

if apple can somehow convice dell, compaq/hp, toshiba, and sony that os x is the way to go, then apple inc could be the next microsoft and be top dog (where i believe they belonged in the first place)

some of the profits can go into further os x and apple hardware r & d
Apple may do this sometime in the future, but they really can't afford (literally) to do this yet. *If* they do it, first Apple needs to build up confidence in OS X in every market place. Second, they just need to become a bigger company with expanding market share. Then can they transition (or really finish transitioning) into a software-focused company.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
ingenious said:
Apple may do this sometime in the future, but they really can't afford (literally) to do this yet. *If* they do it, first Apple needs to build up confidence in OS X in every market place. Second, they just need to become a bigger company with expanding market share. Then can they transition (or really finish transitioning) into a software-focused company.
Apple needs a strong developer base first, and the majority of the key apps in place before they even attempt do this.

Or MS can and will lean on people to keep key apps off the Mac OS, heck they enact a failsafe that may make sure that Windows is incapable of booting if the Mac OS is on the machine.