Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I know there's a lot of stuff going on about the Expo's Keynote - the lack of new stuff, and the unpopular changes to the old stuff.

So now that we're all fed up with the endless streams of complaints, arguments and general flaming, let's get back to the nicer side to having these threads...

With the advent of all this new technology, what would be a nice accessory to make your computing experience better for you?

My ideal addition would be the resurrection of the Cube - souped-up, obviously - but as the center of a digital hub for my home entertainment system, all controlled via a bluetooth remote that can double as a joypad/controller, and even a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to surf the web from the sanctity of your couch.

Hmmmm - Homer Simpson, eat your heart out!
:D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
a new cube would be great and what made the old cube a great design was its smallness and quietness

the price was the only thing which scared most people and probably killed it

it didn't have expandability and it's price point was in the range where one would expect that

keep the new cube within the confines of the imac pricing and you have a hit, since the main charateristic of consumer machines is non-expandability vs the expandable pro machines

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by jefhatfield
keep the new cube within the confines of the imac pricing and you have a hit, since the main charateristic of consumer machines is non-expandability vs the expandable pro machines

I think you could see the flat-panel iMac as almost a resurrected Cube. Fanless, G4, etc, but this time around Apple addressed the main flaws and problems with the Cube, i.e. price, monitor, power brick, etc and turned it into the new iMac.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
it seems like the cube is contained in the new imacs...i see that

i remember a rumor about a mac sphere which i think was a joke thread and everybody thought it was stupid, but the imac base is a half sphere

and if anybody mentioned a half shpere then with a lcd on top, then everybody would complain that it would tip over

i had to actually see a new imac to convince myself that it would not tip over

a cube like computer which could control a tv set, or any mac computer which could control a tv set with a wireless connection would be fun making things like email and surfing done from the couch

that is actually the only reason i have laptops and i never bring them anywhere

for me, i never need more power than what a mac laptop can give me

there is this huge banking company that gives some of its graphic designers powerbooks as their sole computer and they seem to do fine

one techie turned artist told me he wanted to get a sony vaio laptop to be a graphic designer

i mentioned powerbook and he said it was not an option

when he got his degree from junior college in graphics, he sent out his resume

a few weeks later, the banking giant hired him and gave him a powerbook to use at work and at home

now he is a converted graphic designer and swears by macs and by portables

and that was before the tibook...i hope the bank got him one of those:D

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
rebirth of the cube (this time a less breakable and easier to customize)

for powermacs, idd like to see either a super/combo drive for the low end added cuz burning wouldnt cut it enough (even tho i think its 24x burning speed)

and apple should try to get the combo/super drive speeds more up to date, cuz 8x burning isnt fast ;) (my old 2 yr old burner is 8x :S)

ddr ram (of course) for the powermacs, they SHOULD update the powermac line so it has ddr ram since its the professional line of macs
1 ghz processor as the low end ;) of course
and cheaper (or round the same price) as the current low end powermac, i was looking at the old apple store page (canadian page) that was on alexa.com and noticed that the powermacs 2-3 years ago were a couple hundred bux cheaper (low end model)

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
:confused: This might be kinda off topic, but does anyone know if the new iMac has AGP 2x or 4x. I've just always wondered...

mr.w

macrumors regular
May 17, 2002
Colorado
Well i would love to see a g4 ibook (the power of a tiBook and the portability of an iBook) at least 733mhz with 1gig ram and a 32MB-64MB gfx card, a small bump in L3 cache, and DVI out... bluetooth (I'm buying one of those new Sony Ericsson T68i world phones - the one that was at MWNY)

Hopefully I won't have to wait another year ...

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by MacMaster
:confused: This might be kinda off topic, but does anyone know if the new iMac has AGP 2x or 4x. I've just always wondered...

As the Luxo-lamp iMac has it's graphics chipset built into the motherboard, it doesn't actually have an AGP slot - sorry.:(

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
yes I know that

Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik

As the Luxo-lamp iMac has it's graphics chipset built into the motherboard, it doesn't actually have an AGP slot - sorry.:(
I know that it doesn't have an AGP slot in it. Oh wait you're right:rolleyes:
If it's on the motherboard then how can it be AGP. Then wait why does it say it's AGP in the system profiler?:confused: :confused: Oh great now I'm really confused.

-MacMaster

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
When I first saw the price of the Cube I was a tad up in arms. But, just a matter of days before it was cancelled from sales forever my father got me the 500MHz model AND a 15 inch LCD for around $2100. I cannot stress how quiet this sucker is. You can't even hear the thing when you have Disturbed playing on the Pro Speakers. :D

What I would have liked to see with the Cube would be an easier way to access ports and ****. I have to lift up the Cube in order to unplug/plug in devices, which is a pain in the ash for me. In fact, I've grown so lazy to do this that when I need to add songs to my iPod I plug it in to a turned on Lacie CD-RW with two firewire ports, one inputted for the iPod and the other outputted for the Cube. Then, when I need to disconnect my iPod I turn off the CD-RW. And I can hear the damn thing with the AC and music blasting. :eek: :cool:

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I'm glad that you've all not forgotten the Cube - it was such a cool little fella...

However, don't feel that you have to limit yourselves into just talking about the Cube (even though it would be great to have it control your TV, VCR and Satellite box, and be your radio tuner, DVD Player, CD unit and internet connection device all rolled into one (not to mention wireless LAN hub) all from the sanctity of the Entertainment unit in the lounge room - it would fit in there aesthetically, and that's probably where mine will end up one day...:D

So talk about the things that's missing from your Mac that you'd like to see as addons, or even in future incarnations (and why/how would you want/use them) - such as a built-in TV tuner, USB 2.0, FireWire 2, Bluetooth, etc...

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.