What style graphic design is this? (boarderline art deco? propaganda esque? no?)

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Super Intendo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Super Intendo macrumors regular

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

just curious to know the name of this 'style' the middle one doesnt quite fall in line with it, but its pretty similar.

2. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

The middle picture seems to vaguely resemble the style of henna tattoos. The others' styles seem shaped by the limitations of the printing press or lithography or whatever the method used so even though I don't know whether it can really be considered a style in the ars-est-celare-artem way, they both seem line-art.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

4. LeviG macrumors 65816

that was my thoughts too

5. Super Intendo thread starter macrumors regular

But does propaganda like that have a style name, or no?

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Also agreed - retro wartime propaganda.

Why the need to assign another name for the style? ;) (I've no idea if it has a technical name... sorry)

Check this site out - seems quite interesting if your interested in the area.

Similar example to prove connection:

[​IMG]

/Doug

7. unid macrumors regular

Yes it's based loosely on the russian constructivist style of Rodchenko et al.

8. biallystock macrumors member

The first looks like a 60/70s Peace Movement Russian Constructivist revival.

The middle looks like it has Maori/Hawaiian/Polynesian motifs.

The bottom is a pastiche of Edwardian/Industrial/Revivalism from the 90s I'd say. Maybe even Hindi commercial packaging.

There is no such style as propaganda-esque. Propaganda comes from many sources with many prejudices and uses whatever are the current fashions/styles.

9. usclaneyj macrumors regular

All 3 images are from different artistic movements, so it is impossible to peg them all under one title. My gut feeling is that you are noticing the similarities in their ornate styling and flat, vectoresque shapes.

Others have mentioned Russian Constructivism. It is going to give you the most examples of that artistic style.

10. maclook macrumors 65816

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

OP...The style is a combination/mash up of stuff done by Shepard Fairey. He borrows heavily on art deco, post war/graffiti and propaganda art. I collect his stuff that I think doesn't suck. Head to obeygiant.com and sift through the prints and art. He's also most noted for creating the Obama HOPE poster lately.

12. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Yep that would be my thought as well, but I do think the bottom one is very art deco.

13. felixfatfunk macrumors newbie

felixfatfunk