What the best brand for a 128GB SSD for the macbook pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zjw1974, Mar 2, 2011.

1. zjw1974, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

zjw1974 macrumors newbie

What the best brand for a 128GB SSD for the macbook pro 15" 2011 MODEL ????

Also if I never even power on my new macbook pro after i INSTALL THE ssd what due i due next ??? download the recovery cds that are in the box???:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I believe Anandtech can help you decide on which drive with all their reviews.

As far as what to do once you install the SSD you would install snow leopard from the provided discs that come with it. You could clone the original drive to your SSD before the install but that would require hardware I'm not sure you have but some SSD kits come with.

3. zjw1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

so then install all the disks not just snow leopard ?? right ilife '11 or what ever comes with??? what disk due come with a base model macbook pro 15" 2.2 no upgraded software ??

4. zjw1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

WHAT ONE IS THE BEST ?????

Kingston SSDNow V100 SV100S2/128GZ 2.5" 128GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD

A-DATA S599 AS599S-128GM-C 2.5" 128GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Plextor PX-M2 Series PX-128M2S 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Corsair Performance 3 Series CSSD-P3128GB2-BRKT 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

5. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Well, you get the snow leopard disc and the ilife disc. Install iLife if you want it's your choice.

It depends on what you're willing to spend, do you need the fastest SSD, and preference. Anandtech gives great reviews so you can make an educated decision.

6. plind macrumors newbie

First: is this for a 2011 MacBook or a previous model? The reason I'm asking is that the newer model has a SATA 3 (also known as SATA-600) connection with the drive. This is twice as fast as a SATA 2 (also known as SATA-300) connection, which the previous model has. So if you have the previous model, there is no real use in shopping for SATA 3 drives.

Let's assume you're talking about the 2011 MacBook: I'm looking for a SSD for that too. In this forum a couple of people have experimented with the Corsair C300, with not too much success: it does seem to suffer from compatibility issues. I myself was very excited to find the great performance results in the Anandtech and StorageReview reviews of the upcoming OCZ Vertex 3. But what's holding me back is the fact that OCZ has not proven to be very reliable in the past (also see http://www.anandtech.com/show/4202/the-intel-ssd-510-review/3). And since I'm going to use my MacBook for my day-to-day work, I'm considering going the safe route, which means I'm now leaning towards choosing the new Intel 510 SSD. Intel has reportedly been by far the most reliable brand for SSD's in the past. It also uses more proven memory chip technology. The result is that the 510 is not as blazingly fast as the Vertex 3 and 10% more expensive. But I think that's worth it for me. I just don't want to find myself with a defective SSD in a machine that's critical for me. I am still a little in doubt whether I should wait for the Intel 320 series to come along somewhere in April. But I guess I'm not going to wait for that.

Hope this helps you in your selection process.

7. The-Pro macrumors 65816

i dont know which one would be best, but consider SATA II and SATA III aswell. If you have a 2011 MBP then you can use quicker drives than the older ones

8. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I'm Happy with my Vertex 2 SSD. No problems so far (Knock on wood..). If you have the new 15" MBP you may want to consider the new Vertex 3 SSD but you will need to wait a few weeks or so.

9. Dyrvig, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

Dyrvig macrumors member

Newest SATA III unit from Crucial is a very nice choice atm...

I know the review is of the 256gb unit, but just look up the 128..

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/31..._256gb_sata_6gbps_solid_state_disk/index.html

Amazingly fast

The Vertex 3 isn't released (in Denmark) yet, but the old vertex 2 models are more expensive than the new crucials..

Just looked through some reviews, and seems like the 256 is faster than the 128..

Furthermore it seems like the vertex 3 is faster than the crucial, but the crucial haven't been testet by anandtech yet..

Link to comparison http://www.anandtech.com/show/4186/ocz-vertex-3-preview-the-first-client-focused-sf2200/11

10. mantonaccio macrumors newbie

Problems with Plextor PX-128M2S

FYI, I am having problems with this drive in my Early 2011 17" MacBook Pro i7. It runs fine when the o/s decides to negotiate at 3Gb/sec, but it causes freeze-ups in the o/s when the o/s links at 6Gb/sec. I have two different drives (one at fw version 1.01 and the other at version 1.02). They both exhibit this symptom. I also made the mistake of buying this on newegg.com, and am faced with a "no-return policy" on this product. Really stinks. I've been working with Plextor tech support today, and am awaiting a callback. Hopefully they will intercede on my behalf with newegg, or come up with a fix. I'll keep you all posted.

-Mark Antonaccio

11. mantonaccio macrumors newbie

Problems with Plextor PX-128M2S

After pleading with NewEgg in 2 separate phone calls with supervisors, etc, I finally got them to take the Plextor drives back. I'd love to know if anyone else has encountered this issue... and, be warned!

12. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

6g SSD in MBP '11

It appears to mostly be a cable issue in macbook pro 11, plus some potential other issues

Here's a link to cheap solution from OtherWorld mac, as well as explanations.

6g SSDs should work with this, including the new OWC one which looks good.

http://blog.macsales.com/9754-owc-offers-fix-for-2011-17-mbp-sata-problems

read the April 15-17 entries on this blog from Macperformanceguide to get more insight.

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2011/20110417_1_MacBookPro17SSD--gear.html

13. cherishzm macrumors regular

Cost Efficient Choice

I put an OEM version of Samsung 470 series (P810) 128GB in my 2009 MBP 17 and am very happy with it. Samsung has been supplying OEM SSD's to Dell, Lenovo and other computer manufacturers including Apple so the reliability should be pretty good. It also uses its own controller and speed is about average, not great but also not bad at all.

I got my 128GB as new OEM replacement for less than $150 from eBay couple months ago and couldn't be happier. Unless benchmark results are very important to you and you're willing to spend much more money for less than noticeable amount of speed increase, I'd recommend going a cheaper but safe route. With an original 500GB HDD for data storage, 128GB of space for SSD is more than enough for OS, Windows 7 on Parellels and other apps.

14. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I've heard good things about Samsung SSD's but the Samsung drive unit was just sold to Seagate so I'm not sure what will happen with support.

15. altecXP macrumors 65816