What the F is wrong with this piece of ***** MBP 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SteinMaster, Apr 22, 2011.

1. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I am on my second MBP 2011 now. First it won't wake from sleep. Then it won't shutdown, then I get crazy pixels on the screen and it freezes when I turn it on (requires a forced shut down), my Time Machine/Time Capsule constantly freezes.

Now it does not play a majority of flash (i.e. Gizmodo, VEVO, Fox News, etc.) on Both Safari and Firefox. I have the most recent Adobe Flash installed. What ELSE COULD BE CAUSING THIS? Help.

I have had nothing but issues with the new MBP. I used to be a huge Mac fan when I bought my first MBP in 2008, but I am loosing hope as problems continue. I spent $3K on this thing. I am thinking about selling this, take a loss, and buy a MBA. May be worth the continued frustrations and expletives my wife constantly hears when I am dealing with this.

2. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

That title will get you a ton of responses. Make sure you don't blink.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What happens if you create a new user? Do the problems still exist in when logged in as this new user?

4. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Why not take it to an Apple Store and have them fix/replace it?

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Why sell it when you can return it under warranty?

6. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Yeah - I tried this and still have a ton of issues. I only had the first one two days and the Genius Bar replaced it. I am taking this one back and asking for another one. Maybe third times a charm.

7. Blipp macrumors 6502

Did you pull your files and applications from your previous machine using Time Machine? If so and this has happened to two 2011 MBPs then I'm betting you're transferring something that is messing things up. Try wiping your HDD and doing a clean install of OS X without transferring anything and see if the problems persist. Once we've determined if the problems persist or not then we can proceed with trying to identify what you have in your backup that's causing the issues.

8. SteinMaster, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011

SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I never thought I would ever post a title like that until I bought the new MBP. Have loved these until this model. Right now I am looking at a frozen time machine back-up error message and the f'in thing won't force eject. I guess I need to reboot for the fourth time today.

I did not migrate from time machine. I re-installed everything from scratch to make sure I did not get any corrupt files.

Yep, you are right. Heading to the Apple Store now. This is ridiculous.

Yep. Will be my third trip now. So much time has been wasted on a $3K computer. I'm done venting.

9. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

LMAO at the title. I'm guessing you are really REALLY frustrated with it. Kind of reminds me of a time when I got my first (and last) Vista laptop.

10. dblissmn macrumors regular

There do seem to be a lot of problem reports with this new machine. And yet, in my case, it's the first time in the Steve Jobs return era that I've NOT had significant issues with a new Mac laptop. I'm almost waiting for the shoe to drop, but finally settling down into the idea that it will actually work. For the longest time my view on Macs has been that the software is worth putting up with the hardware for. Now, finally, maybe I have hardware that can actually be enjoyed too.

BTW, running temps on this one, a 2.2GHz model with 1680x1050 display and 8GB RAM and the standard 750GB hard drive, are 50C CPU with external monitor in clamshell, and about 38-41 without the external monitor, while running a browser, Mail and iTunes with the battery fully charged and the power adapter connected. Still curious as to whether the 2.3 model would run cooler, about the same, or warmer, but keeping this one as I'm not going to mess around now.

Only problem that I can see so far is that the graphics drivers are still a work in progress if the scrolling on parts of Apple's own website is anything to go by. So nothing new there!

11. MastaK macrumors member

There is your problem.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

13. gecis macrumors regular

Uh oh, some one just lost it. Clean up at isle 3.
    I hope they fix it.

14. goMac macrumors 603

Pretty sure this is why your computer has a warranty.

Statistically you had a 5% chance of getting a bad machine. Guess it was just your turn.

15. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Well, I hope to god you have the horse sense to put the 3rd one through its paces before taking it home this time.

Make them take it out of the box and fire it up.

16. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Maybe you've installed something that messes up OS X, maybe whatever you're backing up onto/restoring from has problems, maybe your 2nd Macbook Pro also has some hardware problems, or maybe both of your Macbook Pros were possessed by evil spirits.

Send it back to Apple and get another one if you can rule out Time Machine/other software problems.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I pity the janitor that has to clean that up :eek:

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

qft

19. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

With graphics switched to integrated, my 2.3 runs around 38-40C under light load in Chrome, with spikes to 45C or so on flash pages. Skype gets that up to 60-65C pretty fast. I've seen as high as 85C playing around with StarCraft II demo on dedicated.

Polbit