What the frack is using data!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsmemuffins, Nov 5, 2011.

1. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I have wifi on all the time.

No push at all

Turned off all the Facebook push in settings

Email set to manual, even in advanced

iCloud not even set up, nor is photo stream

Yet something is using a few kb every hour or so, even though wifi is on.

It's maddening I just can't figure it out.

2. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

3. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Nope.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It will always use some data. Your phone is just doing the mudane things that phones do like let the tower know where it is located in case someone calls you. If you turn off the 3G (AirPlane Mode) that might stop it. But then you have no phone.:rolleyes:

I am glad I still have my unlimited data plan.:)

5. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It doesn't need to use data to tell the tower where the phone is. I have wifi on so why does it ignore it and use up my data allowance!?

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

People like me with the 200mb plan have to be more careful. I still have emails and iCloud set to push because it's so convenient.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

because WiFi can not do it all.:mad: Some data is reguired even on a dumb phone. You can not stop your phone from using SOME of your data unless you are in AirPlane mode.:cool:

You are so consumed with worry about your data, how can you enjoy your iPhone?:confused:

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

A few KB every hour? Chill the hell out! Why does this matter?

There will be something In location services using it I imagine...

9. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Don't think so.

Location services is off and besides they use GPS. It might be minute but I'd still like o know what is using it.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

May well not be a flawless wifi connection. Could be tiny cellular data leaks.

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

let me tell you this I have the same pb before with this special carrier calls mobilephone. Even tho I was on wifi all the time they still charged me for data and they don't even know why. So watch out on those carriers that charge you data even tho you on wifi!

12. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

What? How do you think cellphones worked before smartphones came along? They didn't even have data.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You do not have to have a smartphone to use data. Regualr cell phones DO use small amounts of data.

WTF do you thing data is?:mad:

You do not need to be on Facebook or crusing the Internet to be using data. u r daft? :p

14. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I use an app called NetStat (the paid version is best due to no ads, and ads = connections) which basically shows all connections your device is using, and trust me even with push off, you have loads being made all the time - this actually drains battery quite a lot since random connections eating just little bits of data randomly for no reason is unnecessary work for the phone, especially cellular data.

Also, I notice when I have these active connections my phone actually lags a little bit too...

I've developed a few tricks to make it so nothing is using data ever, and it annoys me when there is push connections on when I don't even use push, my battery lasts such a long time when my netstat list is blank :)

Sign out of the "Store" part in settings, being signed in (you get signed in every time you sync to iTunes) creates a push connection that keeps communicating to Apple, signing out kills this.

Turn off sending diagnostic reports to Apple

Make sure email is set to Manual in the "Advanced" part also.

Opening and closing the "Phone" app once after every reboot seems to clear a random push connection, I honestly can't explain this one.

That's about it, people also suggest adding a restriction to "Ping" but afaik this is unnecessary

I'd also like to add my phone uses 0kb data in and out over night, whereas before it would just slowly creep up, trust me 10kb-20kb or so here and there soon adds up into 1mb... which would be 1% of someone's data plan if they have 100mb total

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The OP things that EVERYTHING should run though his WiFi. There is more to it than what he thinks and like you said, some data will be eaten.

16. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

iOS 4 introduced persistent wifi but it seems that if you have cellular data on and the phone is asleep wifi gives way to 3G, which is stupid in my humble opinion.

17. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why not turn off Cellular Data and see what stops working.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

even if you turned you phone off, when you turned it back on it would chomp your data when it first started. It is just the way it works.

19. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

There's no easy way to find out what's using your data. There is a time consuming way - restore your iPhone as new, don't install anything on it, and see if it still uses data. If not, install each app one by one and check the data usage.

Or, you could just turn off Cellular Data in Settings -> General -> Network, just turning it back on when you need it.

20. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Oh really. That's funny because cellphones were around for at least a decade before the first packet switched data services were even invented, and they worked fine. Perhaps you would like to explain what this mysterious data is, and provide some proof.

21. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I have but wifi is on so everything works.

Yeah, there should be a toggle, cellular data off when wifi is on yes/no.

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Yep you must be . . . .

All of todays phones use some data on the 3G network.

Come back when you know what you are talking about.:p

23. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Why when data is available through wifi? If I turn off 3G and leave wifi on my phone didn't stop working.

24. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It's important to distinguish between the type types of data; internal data between the phone and the network, and data between the phone and the internet via your network/carrier.

The iPhone's data counter displays usage for data between the phone and your carrier's internet service, not internal data between the phone and the network, because that's what you get charged for. So the data you're referring to is not relevant in this case.

25. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

No carrier has an iPhone plan with no data. The smallest I've seen is 500mb which should easily cover the tiny amount the phone uses.