What the heck is this strange noise coming from my MBP? (sample included)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Dec 3, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I've been having this noise for the last three days from my Macbook Pro. It does not seem directly related to the fans; it does snow an increase when fan speeds are higher, but you can hear the fans themselves so I think it may be something different. I'm stuck using this computer while volunteering in a rural medical clinic in Turkey. I have applecare and I already contacted sjobs@apple.com last friday and nobody has even sent me a reply. I think I'm on my own!

Attached Files:

2. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

If everyone contacts sjobs@apple.com for a such a little problem he will never release the damn tablet ;) Honestly the sound is from a rotating part. It only can be the fans. Either its the bearings or its scratching on some part of the heatsink. I assume its the bearings.

BTW: Any of think sjobs@apple.com is really Steve? I hope you don't ;)

3. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

i checked this site that has a sound of a failing hitachi hard drive (mine is a larger hitachi laptop drive that came stock with the computer) and it sounds a lot like my sound. should I just go to a store here and replace the hard drive?

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

You had a problem and your first reaction was to write the CEO complaining?

No wonder Apple's upper level folks are so unhelpful...they are flooded with stuff like this all the time and take it out on the rest of us who get to them after a long time not having things resolved normally.

If your hard drive is making noises that you know are not normal you know what to do. Back up anything you haven't before it goes and then get it checked or replace it.

5. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

Mine started making the EXACT same sound recently.

I just tore my MBP apart thinking it was the fan and blew them out. Still making the sound, so its not a dirty fan issue.

I guess it might be the hard drive. Which is unfortunate because my HD was replaced by me so is not covered under warranty.

6. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

while I understand your reaction, that's not the case here. I have sent this computer back to apple 4 times already. Every single component of this computer has been replaced at least once, except for the CD drive and the HD. I only went to sjobs, because the executive level customer support dude, who requested to be notified in the event of future mishaps, sent back a message saying he was on vacation. Meanwhile I'm stuck out here with this pretty looking, yet unreliable computer.