What the hell kind of connector is this!? (picture attached)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheSVD, Jul 23, 2011.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Hello,

So basically, my friend and I made a video for a local shop, which is to be played on a digital picture frame (it plays video too) in the store. The video that was currently playing on the picture frame was via what I thought was a USB stick - it was put on there by someone else we know, so he must've put it on somehow - but when I got it home, I realised it wasn't USB at all - it's wider and slightly thinner, even though it looks like USB, and is some kind of memory stick.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the hell this is, and how I can transfer data on to it? I would ask the guy that did it but he's uncontactable at the minute!

Much appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Sorry no help from me here, but that is the weirdest connector I have ever seen, I can understand your confusion.. :confused:

3. And macrumors 6502

And

Is it USB, but with the internals of something or other broken off inside the connector? Are the two prongs in the pic connected the metal connector or to something inside?

4. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

I'm a qualified electronic engineer - that is a tiny pcb, and the pins of a SOIC or similar, chip.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Does the picture frame have any markings on it, brand, model # etc.? That could help determine what the connector is. Wouldn't a device have a female port versus what looks like a male port in your photo? Is it possible that's not the port itself but the remains of a damaged USB flash drive or connector stuck in the port?

6. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

I can assure you with all certainty, that the end you have photographed is not a connector.

7. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused: I'm gonna have nightmares.... god that's scary. :(

8. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Oh my... I am embarrassed.. :eek:

Turns out thats the end of a USB Stick, the top of the whole memory stick was pulling the USB stick out of the other half, so you resulted with the wrong end of the USB stick itself! Pulled it out of its holster as shown to find a USB connector... man do I feel stupid :eek: I'm actually very good with computers but this was just a complete mess up haha!

Thanks to all who contributed :)

Looks like I can get some footage on here finally then...

9. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

10. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

11. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Kill that thing! Before it gets to the children...

:)

12. borisiii macrumors 6502

Sony would be proud of that connector, given their love for all things proprietary.