What the hell? Why is the email people see different from the one I'm sending from?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Swift Sketcher, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

I have my main email. I use it for work and stuff, set up in an account in Mail. However, I've recently discovered that the email people see as the sender in their inbox is a different email, my dad's email to be precise. Therefore when they reply, they are replying to my dad's email.

What? How can this be possible. In the "from" portion of the email, my main email listed. How is it magically becoming my dad's email? Has anyone suffered a similar problem? These are all gmail accounts btw.

This is so confusing and nerve wracking, since I need to send a lot of important emails to work, and when they respond, they're sending it to my dad instead. Help!

2. tbl macrumors member

tbl

I’m so glad someone else has this problem! I haven’t a clue why it does this either... so if anyone has some advice please post it!

3. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, so it is a real problem^

Also I just tested this, it is a Mail exclusive issue. Sending from Gmail nets normal results.

4. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Check the settings for your outgoing mail server. If the authentication there is set for another Gmail account, Gmail will send it as if it's from that account, regardless of what you set the "Reply Address" to. I've run into that before.

jW