What the iPhone can learn from the blackberry Storm and Gphone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

As with all products and innovation in the world, even the best can learn from the others. I believe the iPhone is still the best phone available, but Apple can still learn things from the competition to integrate into the next version of the iPhone. Let's make a list and keep this positive/constructive (for Apple) of features that other cell phone competitors have that iPhone should include on the next version of the iPhone.

-expandable memory card slot
    -faster processor
    -more RAM
    -ability for processor to use flash memory as additional RAM
    -removable battery
    -push email that is as good as RIM's.

2. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

3. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

What... the Gphone doesnt have most of these things and the Storm hasnt even been released yet.

And when you say a faster processor, you obviously havent seen how the Gphone is. The gphone is not as responsive as the iphone and it takes longer. And on the internet its choppy as hell. Check out the iphone vs. google phone on youtube.

4. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I'll check it out. Thanks.

5. alFR macrumors 68020

Maybe - there are advantages to just having a shedload of integrated memory though, such as not having to separately manage integrated and removable storage.

Only if you like your flash memory dying really, really quickly: remember flash has a limited number of writes before it dies.

I think if they enhance the Exchange functionality a bit it'll be fine, to be honest. It's already fine for most people.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Geebus...

1) G1, not Gphone. Oy.
    2) Do you have any idea how much RAM is on the iPhone? I don't. That hasn't exactly been an issue since most of the developers have marveled at how powerful it is.
    3) I think the CPU is underclocked to about 400Mhz and can be bumped up to 600Mhz with firmware upgrades. Therefore, the CPU needs no replacement. It'll get slow bumps up as battery technology gets better.
    4) I really could care less about the removable battery. That's an issue you might never deal with if you get a new phone every 2 or 3 years. Even then, just get Apple to replace it. The phone is probably sturdier since there isn't a need to easily remove the back.
    5) I agree with you on the expansion slot, although I think the makers of the G1 and Storm are absolutely stupid for not using any onboard flash. I'm assuming from all things I have ever seen technological that some removable card won't read/write/access as fast as built-in flash.f
    6) The processor doesn't use memory. The OS/firmware does. Anywho, if it boosts performance, it'll be done. But that usually isn't the case on computers (virtual memory is SLOW compared to actual RAM) and would cause a problem if you're near capacity, which I am sitting at right now.
    7) RiM is better at push e-mail because they've been doing it longer. Apple will probably figure that stuff out at some point in the next few months. I just wish I knew if my standard ISP's account could do it because I'm not creating ANOTHER e-mail address.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

-I personally think this is pointless, you have 8 or 16GB to play with and probably 32GB later one. Expandable slot would only appeal to geeks and not the mass market and it wouldnt fit into the iPhone's clean design

-iPhone's processor is rated at 620MHz which is more than plenty but currently capped at 412Mhz for battery life...412MHz is still nothing to sneeze at

-I can't verify this but apparently iPhone runs on 128MB of RAM which is decent compared to other phones but could also be bigger

-Ability to use part of the 8GB/16GB flash memory would be quite good i'd agree here

-I'd also agree with the removable battery part but again probably wont happen because majority don't swap out their batteries and again affects clean design)

-I think Apple can only offer exchange now, doing BB Connect will mean either licensing RIM's technology which is unlikely to happen or setting up their own Blackberry service in which case...see mobile me

I think the real thing iPhone can learn from BB & G1 is Copy/Paste

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The thing I like about the storm is that fact that RIM has no problem creating another bulky, boxy and so heavy "I could use it as a deep sea fishing weight" with a 15lb. test line...:eek:

9. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I would trade battery life for increased processor speed any day. Most of the time, when I plug my phone in at night, it still has a good 30% of the battery left (when I do not use my car charger). I can use my car charger if I need to. I definitely want faster processor speed. Maybe, I can over-clock it. :)

10. firewood macrumors 604

Apple has nothing to learn from the original poster's list. 99% of cell phone customers have no idea what the CPU speed of their phone is. Apple could probably drop the CPU speed and amount of memory, but offer it in more fruity colors, and sales would go up.

Corporate supported push email is the only item on the original list in this thread that I've heard people actually changing a buying decision over.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I expected another "MMS, copy and paste, video capture, etc." list. But this is even better (for entertainment value, that is).

I can't believe we're to the point that people are complaining about the processor and RAM on the iphone. It's 400 mhz/128 RAM are as much as the mac I took to college (imac DV SE)!

12. The Governor macrumors regular

well said sir, well said

13. Maury macrumors 6502

This is fine as long as you also have a gig or so in the machine. Doesn't anyone remember floppy-only Macs? It was a nightmare. You had to copy apps from floppy to floppy or they would disappear when you swapped them.

Note that the G1 does NOT include built-in storage. So in order to save your hair you're going to want to go out and buy the largest flash drive that will fit in it. So all they have done is make you pay more for the phone, while making you believe it's a great feature. If it came with an 8G card that would be one thing, but 1G?

Maury

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Some thoughts from an engineer...

The advantage of having memory built-in, is that it's always there and there's less chance of an OS glitch recognizing it.

The advantage of replaceable cards are two fold: 1) can swap in different movies, etc easily. 2) can expand (up to a point) memory when it becomes cheap enough.

Personally, I prefer the cards, for the same reason I like using memory cards in my camera etc. I get to buy what I want, and swap as needed. Plus I can plug them into my desktop and edit/transfer data directly.

For non-techies such as my wife, I'd say yes to built-in memory instead.
    As they say, it's what you do with it that counts.

As to those talking about the possible "600 MHz" cpu rating, so what? It's not being used, and might not be ABLE to be used because of other component limitations. Especially not having a large battery option.
    Definitely good to have more RAM, especially since Safari seems to use it for cache.

(Having started with 1Mhz cpus with 1K of memory, I do think it's ridiculous how much RAM so-called "modern" systems use.)
    The type of flash that's used in the iPhone cannot be used as program memory. It can only be accessed serially in blocks, and erased /written in 256K chunks, not by individual bytes.

Flash also has limited write cycles, as little as 5,000 in the iPhone's case. Perfect for slow changing stuff like multimedia files. Not so good for anything dynamic.

The kind of flash memory used for programs is much slower than RAM, and far less capacity than the kind used for storage.
    I'm a fan of those. I keep spares charging so I can just slap one in as needed.

More importantly, I can buy larger aftermarket batteries that almost double my time.
    Won't happen until RIM's patent runs out in another decade or so. RIM paid a half Billion dollars for the rights.

15. Trip.Tucker Guest

Pointless post. Can this thread.