What things can i do to strip a iMac that is being used only as a monitor?

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Ok so my Late 2009 i7 27" iMac has a bad video card. I figure it might cost to much to have the card replaced so i have since purchased a new 27" iMac and i am using my old iMac as a 2nd monitor and running dual displays with my new iMac.

I am wondering, What things can i do (either software or hardware related ) that will minimize usage/power/heat from the older iMac since i am only using it in TDM as a 2nd monitor?

It still giving off a good amount of heat, So i am just wondering if i can do anything like disabling certain things or remove certain things to limit the amount of heat and power it uses.

So far i am running it in Safe-Mode and have internet/wifi off. Just curious if there is anything else i can do? Can i remove the ram? disable anything? I thought it would cut back on the heat issue since i am running it in Safe-Mode and its relying on the graphics card from my other iMac since i am in TDM.

Any tips or advice would be great, thanks.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Ok so my Late 2009 i7 27" iMac has a bad video card. I figure it might cost to much to have the card replaced so i have since purchased a new 27" iMac and i am using my old iMac as a 2nd monitor and running dual displays with my new iMac.

I am wondering, What things can i do (either software or hardware related ) that will minimize usage/power/heat from the older iMac since i am only using it in TDM as a 2nd monitor?

It still giving off a good amount of heat, So i am just wondering if i can do anything like disabling certain things or remove certain things to limit the amount of heat and power it uses.

So far i am running it in Safe-Mode and have internet/wifi off. Just curious if there is anything else i can do? Can i remove the ram? disable anything? I thought it would cut back on the heat issue since i am running it in Safe-Mode and its relying on the graphics card from my other iMac since i am in TDM.

Any tips or advice would be great, thanks.
Pretty sure there's nothing you can do. Because of how that computer is wired, the computer needs to be running and booted into Mac OS X before it will work in TDM. So obviously removing RAM is a non-option.

This page here lets you estimate how much your power draw will be. Plug that into a calculator and you can figure out how much it will cost you per year to run it. I calculated it at max brightness, idle, and its 157w = $50/year at 8hr/day.
http://everythingapple.blogspot.ca/2009/11/imac-core-i7-power-utilization.html
http://www.electricity-usage.com/El...Mac&Watts=157&CostPerKWH=0.1127&HoursPerDay=8

But, compare that with the ACD, which is 98w at full brightness, so it's not a massive difference
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3946/apple-27inch-led-cinema-display-review/8

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Using an old iMac in a pinch as a monitor (either first or second) is a great feature. However, if looking for a permanent solution IMO it would be better to sell it for whatever you can get for it and then apply that to getting a decent 3rd party 27in monitor. It isn't just the energy usage but the heat that it puts out that would bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.