What time should I turn up on Friday morning?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leon44, Sep 19, 2012.

1. leon44 macrumors 6502

leon44

I've never queued on launch day for an Apple product before, I assume like 7am would be a reasonable time to turn up to get an iPhone 5, since it opens at 8? Or will I have to get up earlier...
    I want the Black 32Gb one sim-free
    (I'm from the UK btw)

2. supervelous macrumors 6502

I also want to line up, I am in US though. I am willing to go as early as about 5am, maybe 4 but I have to work at around 10am so no way I'm lining up all night or at anything earlier than 4. I guess I can wait.

3. Starbuckpga macrumors regular

If you show up Friday morning there will already be a massive line. Better ask the question and think of Thursday night. Here in the States, lines will start forming tomorrow evening and people will camp out all night and until Friday morning when the doors open.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

LOL..the lines have already started. Thursday after work would be your best bet. Midnight at the latest.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

1AM, but I highly reccomend 10:30PM the night before. The line will grow, UK lines are going to be no different as long as theres an Apple store and an Apple launch ;-)

6. supervelous macrumors 6502

lol that rules me out. I have one coming on pre-order, only was thinking of lining up bc I got Verizon on pre-order but now decided I want to stick with AT&T. But hearing these line stories, I think I'm going to keep Verizon for a few weeks while the frenzy dies down, then return it and get the AT&T one.

7. nws0291 macrumors 6502

Lines will be like the 4 release. If you show up at 4-6am there will be a couple hundred in front of you. If it's the only Apple store in your area then expect more. THere are 4 Apple stores here and they all had massive lines. 8 hours if you didn't get there before 2-3am.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

lol you will be about 600 in line if you show up an hour early. Last year I got there at midnight at was about #40 in line

9. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Go home Thursday and go to bed. Get up around 10-11 PM and head to the store.

11. HeezyBear macrumors regular

What about Apple Stores in malls? Do they usually let people line up inside that early?

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

personally, I would rather camp out for 8 hours/sleep in line and be top 10 in line than get there late and slowly move in line for 8 hours

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Good chance it could be different this time. For the I-4, only 600,000 preordered. This time, 2 million pre ordered. That is a large group of people that will NOT be standing in line.

Just saying.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

yes, there is a designated place where people line up outside of the mall. Just drive around the perimeter and you will see people waiting or call your local mall and they can tell you where to line up.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Depends on the mall. Some allow it, some don't. For those that don't, people wait outside mall property and rush in as soon as the mall allows.

16. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Gotcha, thanks.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

yeah, but a lot of those two-million will be canceling since they are not getting it on the 21st

18. MacRetina macrumors member

MacRetina

I lined up for the iPhone 4 at 4am and the line was wrapped around 2 blocks. I waited for more than 5 hours after they opened up to get the phone. I advise you to get there at 1am. Buy a fold chair and sit.

19. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

It depends on the mall, but a lot of them will let people sleep or hang out inside the mall after it closes the night before the launch to line up.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

haha most of the malls will have a line formed outside, and since the rest of the mall will be closed they use the doors where the line starts. Anyone who comes at any point will have to stand in the line that starts outside the mall

21. Brammy macrumors 65816

I'm going to the Providence Place Mall, and I forgot to ask about lining up when I was there. It's got a muli-level parking garage so I have no idea where to go. Hmm, maybe I should hit a place with better parking.

22. NightCastle macrumors member

When the 4 came out my wife and I stood in line outside of the mall and they let us in at 7 AM to move the line inside. We got there at approximately 5 AM and were probably about 40th to 50th in line.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, I scoped out the place for the line ahead of time by going to the Apple store and asking around.

23. leon44 thread starter macrumors 6502

leon44

I just called the Metrocentre in Gateshead and they plan on not opening the car park until 5am, so not quite sure how this is going to work... you can't really walk to it

24. madsci954 macrumors 68030