What to ask a Senator?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iJesus, Apr 14, 2009.

1. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Hi guys, tomorrow we're having the Nevada Junior Senator, John Ensign, come to speak to us and answer some of our questions at our High School. I'm looking for really juicy questions that are bound to make him a little uncomfortable or questions that really need to be asked.

So, I'm looking for good solid thought out questions. Any recommendations? I've only come up with one so far:

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If the only reason you're asking is to make him uncomfortable, you're most likely wasting everyone's time - you might as well just prank call him, it would be just as juvenile. Besides, many politicians have their questions pre-screened before the speaking engagement begins.

If you're asking because you really feel like your question needs to be asked (and not just to stir the pot), then fire away.

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It will just get deflected with a few sentence answer and he'll move on. Doesn't mean you shouldn't ask it though.

5. iJesus thread starter macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I'm asking him in order to stir the pit simply because I know that asking him will be completely useless because I know the guy and he's completely incompetent.

So I asked him the question today and he just talked about how "government has a moral obligation to teach people that marriage is between a man and a women" and the whole "religion" thing. Yeah, he definitely got booed from quite a few people in the crowd. The crowd was pretty 50/50 (rep. and dem.) but most rep. at our school are libertarians and completely for gay marriage. All this at a small town high school.

A reporter from the newspaper said I did a really good job and she asked for the sheet which I had printed my question on so that she could put it in the newspaper.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

7. ZunePod macrumors regular

And he's in a newspaper.

8. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Dunno about a proper question, but I suppose you could start out by asking him if he realizes he is your hireling, and that he's elected to represent you and your interests.

At least for a little while longer this is still a constitutional democratic republic, not an empire or a communist regime. The government is supposed to work for us, not the other way around.

9. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

:rolleyes:

Glad to hear he got boo'ed.

The government has no right to impose certain religious morals on the rest of us.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Too late for suggestions. Question has been asked already.

11. TSE macrumors 68030

Honestly, I don't know why you would ask a question like that since you basically just did it to stir the pot and not to mention you knew he would just change the subject or not answer the question. That is what politicians do.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Making them hem and haw and uncomfortably dodge questions they'd rather not answer in front of the public whose votes they'll be courting in some number of months is hardly idle pot-stirring.

Or is there some notion of fairness that demands we give politicians the luxury of openly confronting only the easy questions in the interests of effective marketing?

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Because it's not OK to let politicians get away with just doing what they do. You have to try to catch them off-guard or you'll never get beyond their sound-bite surface. They need to be made somewhat uncomfortable.

They are, after all, stepping into the boss's office...

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Somehow I doubt there'd be this much support for "make him squirm for no good reason" from the MR camp if this guy were a Democrat.

Like I posted earlier, it's juvenile and a waste of time. If you're legitimately looking for an answer, then it's a great question. If you're just trying to get under someone's skin, that's just playground.

15. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm surprised you were able to get out the entire question with the Senator or one of his aides cutting you off.

You asked a good question, but unfortunately you got the expected response from the guy.

Get over yourself. I know most of the people you perceive to be "Democrats" that have posted in this thread would have welcomed the same question to any politician that opposes marriage equality.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Regardless of political party, anyone that spews nonsense deserves to be made a fool of.
    Much like most of the posturing between politicians really.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Maybe I was wrong - it's not about the topic or political views at all, maybe I just have more respect for people than to try to ridicule them in front of others. To each his own, I guess.

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They're politicians. Not usually the most honest, upstanding, fair minded and willing to listen, straight talking people. If they talked crap in the past, they deserve to be pulled up on it.

Are you seriously suggesting everyone just sit there grinning like a mind dead idiot at some chump who unfortunately actually might have power to make real changes?

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Somehow I doubt you'd be so interested in handling politicians with kid gloves if this guy were a Democrat.

You have to get under a politician's skin in order to get a straight answer to a topic they would rather avoid.

It's not an attempt to ridicule them. It's an attempt to force them off their pre-scripted talking points. But of course you already know this.

Sounds like you're trying to ridicule us though...

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No, please read my posts again - I'm suggesting that trying to find the answer to something is a far more productive motive for asking a tough question than just to get your jollies watching someone squirm. One more time, it's not what you're asking of the guy, it's what you hope to get out ofit by asking him.

Not really - I wouldn't even try to diss Hillary in public if my only motivation was to make her uncomfortable.

That can be true; you could also do it by coming across as serious and zealous in your attempt to get a straight answer. But that's not why the OP was asking the question - it was to provoke a sense of discomfort.

I said previously that I agree with using "I want a straight answer" as a motive. If that's really the motive then I take no issue with it.

The original poster was looking for "really juicy questions that are bound to make him a little uncomfortable or questions that really need to be asked." I stated my opinion that the first of those reasons is childish and the second of those is valid.

In other threads I've pointed out my admiration of MR users who make compelling arguments based on fact, observation, and/or reason, and to do it without resorting to playground tactics. I enjoy a good debate. But again, it comes down to what you're trying to accomplish; I completely respect trying to genuinely find out something from someone, but asking something for no other reason than to provoke uneasiness comes across to me as playground.

If I came across otherwise, you and the others here have my sincere apologies.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The OP made it quite clear that trying to diss Ensign in public was not his only motivation. That you ignore the rest of his statement and focus on part of it speaks to your biases and motivations.

Let's review what the OP said:
    Now, you state that you "wouldn't even try to diss Hillary in public" so long as your "only motivation was to make her uncomfortable". Presumably, this means you would be accepting of "dissing" Hillary in public (by which I assume you mean ask her a questions solely for the purpose of making her uncomfortable) so long there were *other* motivations behind your "diss" of her?

Now, the OP has clearly indicated that they are looking for a question with multiple objectives:
    1. Make him uncomfortable OR questions that really need to be asked.
    2. Good, solid, thought out questions.

Note the "or" in the first item. Even with the second item omitted, that is sufficient to provide multiple motives, and thus not merit your lecture that you said was saved only for people who's sole motive was to "diss" someone. The second item simply seals the deal.

There are obvious multiple motives to the potential question beyond the one that, for some reason, you have chosen to focus on; despite being quite insistent that you are present in the forum because you enjoy "compelling arguments based on fact, observation, and/or reason, and to do it without resorting to playground tactics".

Such a narrow interpretation of the OP's post displays those same playground tactics you claim to abhor. If you truly were interested in an argument based on fact, you would have at least had the decency to ask the OP of he was intent on "dissing" the Senator, or if his motivations were more complex, before you began your lecture on his motivations.

See above.

Not a problem. Please, stick around.

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

People who are too polite to demand that their politicians openly defend the positions they would be most uncomfortable publicly embracing probably deserve the government they get.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Right. I wouldn't bother; I'd stay home. It would be a waste of my time, and it wouldn't accomplish anything.

My reply to that:

Yep - I praised one of those motives and criticized the other. See above.

In any event, it sounds like the OP came away from the event feeling positively about it, so clearly he doesn't think his time was wasted. That's what counts most.