iPhone XS Max What to bring into hospital with me apart from my phone?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I need my phone - it has all my contacts on it and I use many apps on a daily basis.

But it's terrible when coming to typing on forums. I constantly have to correct typos and it gets tiresome after a while.

I'm going in on Wednesday for a stem cell transplant and wondered whether to take my iPad or my MacBook. The iPad is arguably a lot better than a phone for typing on forums, writing emails etc. but I also think, I could just take my MacBook which is what I normally use at home.

The cons here are that someone might steal it, it's relatively heavy compared with an iPad but I can get a lot more done on it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I should have made it into a poll. I'm likely to be in hospital for two weeks or so.

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
Most hospitals don’t allow expensive electronics for liability theft reasons, unless a visitor drops them off and takes them. My experience has been once procedures are done and I was in the room constantly things were different. Unplugging for awhile was interesting and taught me something. I used my iPad easy to hide and carry. You might call and make sure.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm unsure if you should make this into a poll. Can you make a poll about whether to make a poll so that others can vote on that? That will give you enough insight into whether you should make a poll.

Reactions: Ffosse and ericwn

cdcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I need my phone - it has all my contacts on it and I use many apps on a daily basis.

But it's terrible when coming to typing on forums. I constantly have to correct typos and it gets tiresome after a while.

I'm going in on Wednesday for a stem cell transplant and wondered whether to take my iPad or my MacBook. The iPad is arguably a lot better than a phone for typing on forums, writing emails etc. but I also think, I could just take my MacBook which is what I normally use at home.

The cons here are that someone might steal it, it's relatively heavy compared with an iPad but I can get a lot more done on it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I should have made it into a poll. I'm likely to be in hospital for two weeks or so.
Also, the ipad is way easier to thoroughly sanitize than a Macbook. You are getting a stem cell transplant, you'll be in an isolated unit, and everything else will be sterile.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Something else to consider, when you bring your personal items inside the hospital, they should have a ‘personal property log-in sheet’ to record anything that you bring and it’s documented. You can always ask if they have something available like that. That way you know exactly what you checked in with and what you’re leaving with the hospital at the same time, and you have a copy and so does the hospital for there records.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Something else to consider, when you bring your personal items inside the hospital, they should have a ‘personal property log-in sheet’ to record anything that you bring and it’s documented. You can always ask if they have something available like that. That way you know exactly what you checked in with and what you’re leaving with the hospital at the same time, and you have a copy and so does the hospital for there records.
They have a safe, and besde your bed is a locker where you can store stuff like your debit card, keys, any cash etc. I've used this in the past (not the safe) and found it works just fine. Although it's highly unlikely anyone would be in your room apart from medical staff and the cleaner, during which time I'm also in the room.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I've got the ipad and iPhone with me although their Wi-Fi is a little patchy today.

I also remembered t o bring my Bluetooth headphones as it's going to be a long 2-3 weeks in here.

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
Take the iPad. Play Pubg. Add me so we can game lol. Great time waster... PUBG.

With the iPad you can read and study if you need to. I went to a conference and choose the iPad over the MacBook. And it was great for this.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
No, I don't game. The iPad is for forums, reading books and watching YouTube and films I've downloaded.