What to buy after Apple replaces dead G3 iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by destroyboredom, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

    Dec 16, 2002
    Washington, DC.
    So my current situation is that I talked to Apple tonight, after my G3 iBook logicboard failed for the 4th time this year. They were very nice and agreed to replace the unit with the brand new G4 iBook. They also offered me the normal BTO options if I want to pay the difference.

    My plan however was to sell the unit as new and upgrade. I took a rough guess at resale value of the new unit to estimate what my additional cost would be. I'm in the computer industry and through some connections I'm able to get good pricing on the units. All units would include Applecare.

    12" Powerbook(combo) ~$350
    15" Powerbook(combo) ~$700
    DP 2.0GHZ Powermac ~$1400

    I wouldn't consider myself a huge power user, but I do mess around in Photoshop/Web design and think I would experiment with Final Cut with a more powerful system. As far as portability, I like the option, but It's not a must.

    I know the current situation with Powerbooks not being updated until Jan., but given the pricing I have now, I think it makes it a viable option. Coincidentally I will be at a Mall this Saturday that has an Apple store so I plan on looking at units there and calling Apple back Monday with a decision. I was hoping for some input from people that own/have owned these units and what they thought.

    I understand the pros and cons of each, just having trouble balancing them and making a choice. Any input is appreciated. I currently also own the following-

    Viewsonic 19" Pro series CRT
    Lacie DL DVD/RW (300759U)
    WD External 120GB HD FW/USB
  2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040


    I would go with the 15in PB, you are getting the most for your money, they are giving you a generous trade in, you are gettin $1300 for your ibook!
  3. destroyboredom thread starter macrumors 6502

    Dec 16, 2002
    Washington, DC.
    It's not so much them giving me $1300 for a 'trade in'. It's more of a drastically reduced price on the Powerbooks. Given the current situation, I'm sure they are working on clearing them out. Like I said I do have a 'connection' and thats the reason for the reduced pricing on all the units.

    I do have an airport card and memory from the G3 I Plan to sell also. I forgot to mention that, and that $$ is factored into the prices above.
  4. mms macrumors 6502a

    Oct 8, 2003
    Remember too that although you are getting a good deal on the G5 PowerMac, those towers are huge (even bigger than the G4 towers) and along with a CRT would take up a considerable amount of space. Just another point to consider.
  5. destroyboredom thread starter macrumors 6502

    Dec 16, 2002
    Washington, DC.
    yeah, I have seen a few in person. They are heavy too! Fortunately desk space isn't an issue.

  6. caveman_uk Guest


    Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    You can't get any of the older model dual 1.8 G5s can you? Maybe refurb? These are keenly priced and have PCI-X/more memory slots that the current 1.8 G5s. Having said that I think the current dual 1.8s are the best deal in the powermac range. The 2GHz machines cost quite a bit more for only an extra 10%

    Of the machines you listed I'd probably go for the 15" powerbook.

Share This Page