What to buy? Alum MB 2.0 or Alum MB 2.4 refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bailorg, Mar 26, 2009.

1. bailorg macrumors member

bailorg

I'm about to buy my first Mac and I'm trying to decide between a brand new MacBook Aluminum 2.0 for $1299 or a refurbished MacBook Aluminum 2.4 for $1399.

I plan on keeping the computer for at least 3+ years.

Since I am planning on keeping the computer long term, I also plan on upgrading the memory to 4GB. Is it better just buy the memory myself from say OWC, instead of getting the computer with 4GB installed by Apple, if I go for the brand new option?

2. desiringGod macrumors regular

Just go for the 2.0 refurb for 1099.

Refurbs are as good as new and you may get lucky and get a refurb that has 4 GB in it already.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Get the 2.4 GHz model refurbished. You'll appreciate the backlit keyboard and extra processing power. It's a 1/5 increase of power...

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I agree here. At $1099, the aluminum unibody MB is the best buy... not just of the two but of any Mac.

Whichever one you get, you have to upgrade the RAM. The only real difference is CPU and that difference is just not going to be noticeable.

Amazing Mac for the price. Good luck.

5. GTJ macrumors newbie

i just got a 2.4 refurb yesterday. Its absolutely brand new looking and the battery only had 2 cycles. They also sent me one with a 320gb harddrive and 4gb ram!! Cant do much better than that. I'd say go for the 2.4 over the 2.0 new or like others are saying get the 2.0 refurb. Seriously i cant believe it was ever opened before.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm presuming you're not going to be doing anything terribly intensive with it, or else you would have said.

You also say that you're going to be keeping this machine for the long term. My take is going to be different from everybody else who are saying to buy the most machine you can now.

I've bought a second (well, third) machine to use around the house to do general stuff: browsing, email, word processing, etc. I managed to buy a last generation 12" g4 powerbook running at 1.5 ghz. The ram is maxed out, it has a 80 gig hard drive, superdrive, etc. It's a four year old machine.

The model before mine was the 1.33 ghz g4. I can honestly say that, four years after mine was made, that the extra ram makes a bigger difference over the .17 ghz, and that my system is almost obsolete for all but the most basic computer tasks anyway. This thing isn't bad for surfing a web page, but it's almost painful for it to encode videos. I've accepted the fact that 10.6 isn't even going to run on it.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say the same for the two new macbooks in 2012. It's not going to make much of a difference between the processors in the two machines.

If money is an issue for you, I'd say to get a refurbed 2.0 ghz macbook and max the memory out on it when ddr3 prices drop in the future.

Good luck.

7. kopo macrumors newbie

8. kevbrim macrumors newbie

Argg!

I just ordered mine two days ago for 1399. Do you think apple with refund the $100 to me.

9. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

That is awesome. I got my refurb blackbook a year ago. I had heard so many good reports of extra ram in the refurbs, I was quite disappointed when mine was only as advertised. I wanted to send it back :D.

10. Aniki macrumors regular

11. desiringGod macrumors regular

They did that for me when I bought a refurb last year and it went down $200 the next week.

Just call until you get someone who will do it.

12. kevbrim macrumors newbie

I called today and they will credit me the $100. Thanks

13. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Mb 2.4 all the way, love it with the backlit keyboard.

14. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Definitely agree with what's being said. I have heard nothing but good from Refurbs. You'll appreciate the power down the road...especially if the price just dropped!

15. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

That is an amazing price! Definitely get the refurb. Do it NOW.

16. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

+1 for the 2.4. $100 for a backlit keyboard and a (slightly) better processor sounds like its worth it to me!

17. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yea definately the 2.4ghz refurb! Its only $100 more and you are getting quite a lot more of a machine. An extra .4ghz will get stuff done faster, and the backlit keyboard! And from what I heard apple refurbs are pretty much brand new condition anyway, and they are fully warranted, so why not? [​IMG]

18. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I was suprised when I saw the lower price; I thought it was a mistake. It's soo tempting now.

ChrisN

19. atomicfuze macrumors newbie

For me it never makes sense to buy from the Apple store. I can buy this (after rebate) for $1484 NEW no tax or shipping, plus free parallels (after rebate) & free case. At the apple store it costs $1410 after tax for the refurbished one without any extras. I agree if you could get an extra 2gb of ram it might be worth it but that's a crap shoot. I have never had trouble with rebates so until I get burned I will go the Mac Mall way.

BTW I have the same dilemma on weather to get the 2.0 or 2.4 ghz.

20. njz1719 macrumors newbie

I have a 2.0 that I bought right after the launch of the new MB's so I payed full price. If I were you I would go with the 2.4 refurb for sure, the backlit keyboard is awesome and I wish i had it plus you get the faster processor. If the price is the same, then I would buy the refurb no question its a great machine and pretty much guaranteed to be in perfect shape, plus you may get more ram which would be awesome. As for your second question definitely do the upgrade your self, its much cheaper and its easy just follow a guide and you'll have no problem.