What to buy - G5, G4 or PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. maclamb macrumors 6502


    Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    I currently own a MDD G4 DP 1.25 (1G ram, 200 G ATA/133, 120 G ATA/133, 2 CDROMs, Ti4600 video card-bought on ebay at a great price on a whim one night - go figure)

    I love its speed and quickness (both UI and - App crunching, but less so its noise - which is not excessive, but is louder than the upgraded cube (with CPU fan) I had). I don't do video or sound editing right now - may in the future - mostly straight business tasks, office, web, email, but often do many things at once, do use photoshop/illustrator on occaision, itunes, toast, eclipse (for java devleopment), little games - so the HUGE hard drives video card - and maybe even the DP is wasted on me (?) - but I'm spoiled by the speed and dual monitors/extended desktop...

    I have someone interested in buying the machine from me - and if I sell it for close to what I want I could afford several choices:

    1. I could replace it w/ another G4 DP - and have $ left over for toys - ipod, display or spend on my spouse...

    2. I could just manage the DP g5 1.8 - much closer in config to what I think I use in terms of hard drives and video - but if so, am I better off waiting a month for MWSF - big price drop on these when the new ones come out?

    3. I could get a G5 1.6 or 1.8 and give up the DP _ but not sure how much a performance hit I will take for "normal" tasks...

    4. I have a pbook g4/800 that I like for casual surfing, etc - I suppose I could just sell the pb/800 and upgrade to a 15.2 PB 1.25 - I have thought of that - but are the current PB 1.25's quiet, not too hot (had a 667 and it got hot - but not unbearably - but hthe fan could be LOUD), and pretty much over their poor quality issues?

    5. Look at getting a(nother) cube w/ upgraded cpu (no fan, if possible)

    See, I really value stillness and quiet - so that is a major factor - the MDD-DP is not that quiet (even though I have replaced the video card fan)

    I could use some advice....
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    You could replace a dual g4 1.25 with what? a dual g4 1.4? what is .15 megahertz going to do for you? cant believe your even thinking of staying with the dog g4. think of this your machine is still more current then any g4 product sold why? Motorola gave up 2years ago and apple is still using the same chip as is in your machine with no advancement. there is only 1 answer here and thats G5. after MWSF;)
  3. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

    Mar 13, 2003
    option 6

    get a refurbished dual 2 ghz g5 for 2499
  4. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502


    Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    Well, I was thinking of replacing the G4 1.25 with a 1.0 or another 1.25 - I can get a lot for what I can sell the current one for - but I see your point about moving up to the G5 - and I hear yo about waiting until after MWSF -
  5. Lain.v2 macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2003
    Lain's rule #2335 - Buy the most expensive hardware u can afford. Worry about repayments later :D

Share This Page