What to buy: Iphone 16 vs New IPod touch 32gb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by preguntonontrac, Sep 14, 2008.

1. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Ok i was waiting for ebay to drop the prices, and the iphone is not and wont be available in my country, then the new ipod touch was released.

So list some characteristics of both in a IPOD touch VS IPHONE contest:

Please include advantages and disadvantages

Also include current build problems on both

And why? be detailed.

and why should i buy one of both.

Note: the ipod touch must be like $400 and the Iphone will be like $700 +- since is not available at my country. Money is always important :rolleyes:

thanks in advance.

2. kheovnien macrumors member

not trying to be a jerk or anything, but good luck finding someone to do all that for u. as a heads up try reading up on ur own first, then ask specific questions.

3. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

People dont need to answer each one, in fact i am just seeking people's opinion based on those questions and that they can back up their answer.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

These issues have been discussed ad nauseam on the forums. Like kheovnien said, why don't you do a bit of reading around the forums and not ask us to do your homework.

5. rudolf macrumors member

Do you need to be able to make phone calls?

If yes - get iPhone
    If no - get the iPod

6. B.A. macrumors regular

It is as simple as that.

7. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

This question sounds like an assignment that nobody wants to do. It's simple. With the iPhone you have internet access nearly anywhere and you pay monthly for that. Touch needs Wi-Fi and no monthly fee.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

If you can read it shouldnt be difficult for you to choose. Its a matter of do you need a phone or not.

9. sh0ckerturb0 macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

10. franzmueller macrumors regular

hi

i own both devices ( iphone 3G & 1st gen ipod Touch ) and beside of the ability to make calls , for me the biggest advantage the iphone has against the ipod touch is : the speaker .

It makes a lot of difference been able to hear clearly your alarms , play games , or simply listen to music .

Saludos

11. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

The new touch has a speaker built in. So that point is now moot.

12. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

It would not hurt me upgrade my phone but no, i dont need phone right now although the one i have Kinda old. the new question is:

The phone ability worth 300 more?

I was browsing the new touch specs, the new speakers is worst or better than iphone 3g speaker?

The gps is not include don new touch? tried to find it on specs but i think i missed it, althought i dont need gps but is always a nice feature.

13. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's obvious that cost is an issue, so go with Touch.

15. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I own both, and honestly the iPod Touch has done much more for me than the iPhone. Granted, I had the Touch for a year before I got the iPhone, but... if you already have a phone and a Touch, the iPhone doesn't bring anything spectacular to the table, telephony wise. It's got SMS and you can make calls with it. The only unique telephone functionality is visual voicemail, but you won't be able to use that in your country anyway.

Depending on what phone you already have, chances are that the iPhone is a downtrade (again, assuming you already have an iPod Touch duplicating all the stuff that makes the iPhone awesome). The battery life stinks compared to what you get on ordinary phones. The camera is cheapo and doesn't have a flash. It doesn't come with a dock like many other high-end smartphones, you only get a charger with the world's shortest cable. There's nothing on the display when the phone is on standby (most phones at least show a clock) and there's no LED on it to indicate that you've missed a call or received an SMS. It doesn't support MMS. The Bluetooth functionality is shockingly rudimentary (it's only good for BT headsets, not calendar sync, file transfer etc). It won't tether to your computer. My advice -- if you're happy with your current phone, get the iPod Touch and don't bother with the iPhone.

16. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a great answer, anyone that has a different contradictory opinion?

Also what are the best phones to match up with the new ipod touch if i buy new phone? or maybe i should do thread about this?

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Do your own homework...not sure why we are the one doing it for you.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i like having internet all the time and i like location services

i do not like how i have to be super careful with the iphone lol. every other phone, i didnt care too much about what happened to it lol

19. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats is factor too, althought with the touch you have to be careful too.

I think i am decided for a touch still i dont know if it has gps.

About the phone, any good looking phone not too big sinc ei will ahve a touch maybe better camera and things that th etouch dont have like the friend up here said.

post your opinions

20. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

21. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Not sure what you mean by "match up". Any phone you buy will be very different from the iPod Touch in terms of shape, design, features, operating system, compatibility... you will have a phone world and an iPod Touch world with little or no overlapping.

And besides, if you have the cash to get both the Touch and a new phone, then you have the cash to get an iPhone so I don't see the dilemma really.

22. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well, that's always a factor you have to deal with if you buy portable products from Apple. They almost always make them in materials and finishes that are scratch and fingerprint magnets, so that you will have to dish out for expensive accessories to protect the gadget. They pride themselves on making small, thin and light products, but once you add the necessary protective shell it's suddenly thicker and heavier than competing products that don't need protection...

23. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean more like what you talked about, like a good looking phone not too big that complements in specs the touch... like camera and better mms.

24. stoich macrumors member

uhhhh..............WOW.............:confused:

Call... or not to call... that is the question