What to buy ? Mini-DVI to DVI or Mini-DVI to HDMI ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dirtydignity, Oct 29, 2009.

1. dirtydignity macrumors newbie

Hi,

After a discussion on mac forums, i decided not to buy another desktop. I have a macbook and i am going to stick with it. I upgraded my macbook with 4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB WD HDD.

The question is now i want to hook it up with a big display. I ahve a 32" Toshiba HDTV 1080p. How should i connect it. Use a mini-dvi to dvi and then a dvi to hdmi OR should i go for mini-dvi to hdmi? The reason i'm asking this is, i don't know which method works. I've also heard of connectors that are mini-dvi to s-video or RCA. Which setup should i go for ?

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Definitely mini-DVI to HDMI. The less cables in-between, the better. DVI and HDMI uses the same protocol (HDMI is basically DVI with audio), so it'll* work with no problems.

*Like with all hardware, "will" must always be read as "should" :)

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

But you only get images, no audio out of the mini display port and have to use a seperate cable for that if I understand correctly

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. dirtydignity thread starter macrumors newbie

I use a home theater so that would take care of the audio. I just need video through TV. I'm planning of buying mini-DVI to HDMI. The concern is, apple produces mini-DVI to DVI. I'm not sure if i buy a product such as one from DYNEX, it would work or not ?

6. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

so long as they have the same endings on them (plug ends) they will work like the apple products do... the mini-dvi to hdmi is the option i would go with, however i havent really noticed much difference quality-wise with using a mini dvi-dvi[​IMG]