What to buy?! Music producer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MachaonDj, Feb 22, 2014.

1. MachaonDj macrumors newbie

Hi guys. Just needed a bit of guidance on this matter. I am a dj and producer using software like Logic Pro X and traktor pro. I currently have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro , 500 GB HD with 8gb memory.

I use this MB for everything. Photos,videos,music and it's got so slow recently. Probably because I have tons of files I don't really need but don't want to lose.

I wanted a bit of advice on what to do. Wait for the new Mac mini and connect it to my new lg 42 LCD where my studio space is. Or go for a new MBP retina or IMac. Or just stick with my current set up and just upgrade components.

Any advice and feedback would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance

2. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

An SSD upgrade would make a *huge* difference. I use a 2009 MBP and it works just fine with Logic (with plugins, virtual instruments, etc) More memory is always better of course.

IF you're a dj, I would suggest buying a MBP as you can take it with you, obviously - to gigs and such. I prefer my MBP to my iMac (which is more powerful) .. just more convenient to take it along on trips and edit audio on the fly.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I use Logic on two Macs:

First is a 2013 iMac

3.4GHZ CPU
    2GB 680M GPU ( you have the option for a 4GB card now)
    3TB Fusion Drive ( the larger SSD option is now available, I'd take it )
    32GB RAM
    27" Screen

Second is an rMBP that I use for edits:

3GHZ CPU
    8GB RAM ( you have to choose this at purchase time)
    500GB SSD

I have an external 2TB WD In a custom CIT enclosure that I use with the rMBP

The iMac is fast...very fast, but would be even better with that large SSD in it,

I have a Pegasus R4 which holds my media libraries...It's full now and I've just bought a Lacie Porsche 4TB unit ( USB 3) for a cost effective expansion.

I think if it were me I'd go for an iMac...

Just my 10c worth.

4. MachaonDj thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to keep my MacBook Pro regardless, because as you say I need for gigs.

So you think the new iMac? What about the new mini that's suppose to be coming out?

And could you link me to the storage devices you talk about ?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sure...Nobody knows when the mini is coming...It may be later as Intel are having issues with the Broadwell production which is the next generation Apple were no doubt planning on using.

The Promise Thunderbolt unit ( hold your breathe, they are not cheap )

http://www.promise.com/storage/raid...n-global&m=1162&sub_m=sub_m_6&rsn1=49&rsn3=47

Shopping around, you can probably get one for around $ 1200

USB 3 Options:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-USB-3-...393068522&sr=8-19&keywords=WD+usb3+hard+drive

And the one I've just bought is in the image.

Thunderbolt gives you the best real time performance, but USB 3 is acceptable, although not as fast.

Attached Files:

6. geta macrumors 6502a

If you're in the needs for new mac (and you're keeping the MBP), don't waste your time till the new macMini will come, go head and get the correct one, the main difference will be a minor bump in the CPU and Iris GPU...

Get i7 MacMini with 16GB and SSD (for OSX and apps), 2nd HDD (or SSD if you can afford it) in external USB3\TB enclosure (or with OWC kit) for audio\projects, and big external USB3 HDD for backups.

Other option is to upgrade your MBP with SSD (and optibay for the correct HDD you having), this will give new life and should hold you till the new macs will come...

7. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Get an SSD, and an external drive, But if you want to upgrade, mbp 13 retina seems like a good choice.

8. MachaonDj thread starter macrumors newbie

Rather new to modifying mac's. How do you add a second ssd or hdd? I thought mini's could only hold 1?

----------

Also is it best to buy ram at purchase stage or add in more yourself ?

9. geta macrumors 6502a

The server version come with 2 HDDs, also the regular mini can hold 2 HDDs, but you need to install this kit:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

About the ram, it would be cheaper if you buy it elsewhere...