What to buy...new 15" MBP, Canon EOS 5D mkII, or car stuff?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fs454, Oct 19, 2008.

1. fs454 macrumors 65816

Alright, so I have a 2.4ghz Santa Rosa MBP, 2GB RAM, 8600GT already replaced once for failure, 250GB HDD, LED backlit, etc.

I love it. But at the same time, I don't have applecare, am out of warranty, and there's technically only around 8 more months that apple covers the GPU replacement. I'm scared to death that it will happen again. It already happened once and I had to argue my way to a free replacement of a defective product.

I could sell this for around $1300 and get a new $2500 MBP with student discount and APPLECARE this time, haha.

OR

I could save a bit more and get the Canon EOS 5D mk II. The 22 megapixel beast that takes the most absolutely impressive 1080p video i've ever seen. Oh, and it also takes pictures. This is ~$3000 though.

ORRRR

I have an Audi A3 and am a complete Audi nut. My car:

[​IMG]

I'd be looking at:
    some new wheels and tires, off of an Audi RS4
    Front plate delete + blackout grill
    A new intake with some other goodies under the hood
    whatever else I can afford

Obviously the MBP forum will say the macbook, but can I justify that purchase? I wish the res was higher as well as actual improved GPU performance.

I also have a mac pro, but I do like to be mobile. I do a lot of freelance video work as well as photography, gaming, and general go anywhere usage. I don't care about the glossy vs matte debate, video can't be color matched on a laptop LCD anyways. I love the glass display.

Any input?

2. felt. macrumors 6502a

3. jTreu macrumors 6502

4. sk47 macrumors member

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

If you love photography, then the 5D. Otherwise.. half car stuff.. half MBP. :D

6. Nate025 macrumors regular

Since you brought it up..

I finally, after months and months, had the chance to pick up a 30GB-hard drive, GPS, and DVD-enabled radio for my '08 Grand Jeep Cherokee...and passed on it to order a brand new Macbook Pro. :D

7. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

8. fs454 thread starter macrumors 65816

I shoot with a Canon Rebel XTi right now.

I was interested in the 5D for full frame and the fact that it takes more impressive HD video than anything on the market, HD cameras included.

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I'd get the camera. The XTi to 5D is a HUGE step. Old MBP -> New MBP, not so much. Car.....your upgrades are mostly cosmetic

10. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

11. Torriero macrumors newbie

straying really far off topic, I have an 05' GCL w/ hemi, absolutely love it, good call on the MBP though... I've got the REC navigation in my GC and I've used the mygig and it is nothing special (not that I could install it in my GC even if I wanted to)

Now to answer the actual question at hand go for the 5D you already have a nice laptop that doesn't need to be upgraded, and coming from a car addict, putting any money into cars right now just doesn't seem worth it...

12. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

whats under the hood?

for the money i would invest in the car or the camera.

i would wait for the new chipsets since you have a 2.4 in yours.

how bout the camera and a couple mods on the car?!
    simple engine mods like rebore the headers, maybe throw in a CAI.
    just a couple hundies...

13. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

In that case, I would probably go with the camera. I know I would love to step up from the 20D, that camera is amazing!

You could also sell the old MBP and buy a refurb for $1499 and get Applecare with that, that way it wouldn't take as long to save up again for the 5DmkII. Plus you would be able to keep the matte screen.

14. fs454 thread starter macrumors 65816

Under the hood is the 4 cyl 2.0T engine, coupled to a Magnaflow catback exhaust and an APR performance chip.

262hp, 300ft-lb of torque. It's quite a beast already, and it's really damn throaty for a 4 cylinder. It's not like any straight four i've heard. No ricey sound :)

[​IMG]

The transmission is Audi's twin-clutch 6 speed DSG gearbox. Kinda like porsche/ferarri's stuff. It's a paddleshift system with near-instant response time. I wish it was a stick, but I couldn't get one in my area without spending much much more. Having tested a new 6 speed at the dealership, I get just as much fun out of mine, but if there were a trans swap available, I'd do it.

I'm leaning MBP right now but it does seem more valuable for me to wait for newer chipsets/nehalem, maybe quadcore mobile stuff?

Camera would be amazing, but I feel the cost would be way too high. I'd need a seriously large, fast CF card to deal with the high def video, on top of the $3.3k for the kit. I can't get the body only because my EF-S lenses won't work with full frame, and the only EF lens I have is a 70-200mm F/4L.

15. pamon macrumors 6502

i'd go for the camera, then the laptop, then the car.

16. MoeOz macrumors member

17. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Hands down I'd get the camera... your MBP is good for the time being and I'd wait till nehalem.

as for the car, I'd do that to after the camera. This is actually weird because I'm encoding a video i just edited in final cut of my Audi A6!!!!! I'll post a link as soon as i get in onto vimeo.....

18. Nikklaus macrumors member

19. magallanes macrumors regular

its true.

20. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Get the 5D MKII

It's a fantastic camera!! You already have a decent Mac. It's perfectly fine.

You also have a decent car. And you don't need to spend money pimping it. Get the camera really :) It's a very nice upgrade to the XTi you have.

21. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

Kind of off topic but lockpick actually makes an adapter now so you can put the thing in the older vehicles. Not sure if it covers the one you have but it covers my commander limited.

22. nikiski macrumors regular

23. Hydramus macrumors member

I want that 5D mark 2 so bad... currently shoot with a 20D that I've had for what feels like forever. I agree with most of what the others are saying, your mac is fine and the new one isn't much of an upgrade, so go for the camera:D.

24. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

As a photographer, you know how I'll respond to that question. But, what are you shooting with now? I would then suggest a used 85L and 70-200/2.8L for a total of about $2200. At that point, those images would pay for the new MBP.

www.tcphoto.org

25. donbadman macrumors regular

+1

It's all about refining classic designs not blinging them up - anyone listening at apple?