What to buy -new with less memory or referb with more mem

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jerry ellis, May 14, 2012.

1. jerry ellis macrumors newbie

I am finally getting my ipad, my dollars limited. Do I buy iPad 3 with 32gb or iPad 2 with 64gb. used for pleasure and business. thanks

2. jordanb505 macrumors newbie

Go with the new iPad if you can afford it; maybe the 16GB model if 32GB is pushing it. The screen, graphics and LTE speed (if that's something you want) totally justify the added expense. Otherwise I don't think you could go wrong with a cheaper, but still great iPad 2 - it should still be able to handle everything you need it to if you are even a moderate to heavy user.

:apple: iPad (3rd generation) Black 16GB Verizon LTE
    :apple: iPod touch (4th generation) Black 32GB

3. iEvolution macrumors 65816

If you don't feel the need to have the retina go with the 2, personally I think the refurb 2s are the best it terms of value, I mean the device has essentially the same processor so its going to be able to run any app that 3 can run.

Space is a big consideration as well, 3 retina optimized apps take up more space. I don't recommend 16gb its just not enough space for many. Make sure you get a capacity that has room to grow, its better to have too much space rather than too little.

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

I've had all three iPads. To be honest I don't find the new iPad's display a reason to upgrade. I do however think the 1gig of RAM and (for me) LTE well worth the upgrade. To be honest my iPad 2 had some low memory issues that came about with IOS 5.0. 5.1 fixed some but not all of the crashes.

Yoi're going to have to try to figure out how you think you will use it and unless you've had an iPad previously that's hard to do.

The questions I would ask myself are:
    1). Will I have access to a cloud storage facility most of the time if I need to retrieve documents I need for business? If yes, then chalk one up for new iPad.

2). Do I plan to carry around a lot of media because I travel or need storage because I can't access iTunes on my computer when I need to in order to change out my media? If yes, then chalk one up for ipad 2 and more storage.

3). Do I plan to resell at a later date? If yes, then chalk one up for the new iPad which will resell much easier and fetch a better price.

4). Do I plan to plan some pretty intensive games? If yes, then go for the new iPad due to the 1 gig of RAM (vs 512 in the iPad 2).

5). Do I plan to keep this device for at least 2 years? If yes, go for the new iPad. The iPad 2 is a good device but is now 1 generation old. Sorry, but the lack of memory (512) will begin to hurt the device more and more as apps get RAM hungry. And this will happen. Always does.

Good luck. I expect you'll be pretty happy whichever route you take. Each has pluses and minuses.

5. Mikes2pads, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012

Mikes2pads macrumors regular

More room is a nice thing , a must in many cases. Do not think less than 32g's . If you appreciate the visuals than this display is also a must have.
    Really is beyond what you might be used to. You do not see it immediately but once you travel on it it makes itself very obvious. Try for both mem and retina.
    When side by side with my ipad2 not only is it a crisper In speed but much higher in all aspects of visual definition quality.
    Ipad2 is a keeper. Solid as a rock but you can not compare it to the 3rd gen . It's an upgrade. Period.