What to buy, "old" 2.5 Ghz MBP or new 2.4Ghz MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nedturskakao, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Nedturskakao macrumors member

What to buy, "old" 2.5 Ghz MBP or new 2.4Ghz MBP?

The title says it all, i have ordered the new one, but it hasn't been shipped yet, so i can still cancel the order. The old 15.4" top model is pretty cheap from new in these days, what do you think will be the smartest thing to do; cancel my order on the new one and buy the old one for about 400$ less? Or just be happy with the new one.

I'm not to happy with the glossy screen on the new one, but from what i read it isn't to bad. Else i don't really game, i use my computer for video editing and iTunes! The only bad thing as far as i can see, about the old one is the 250GB harddrive! I think i need more space.

Help guys!

2. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I am also doing video editing and had the same problem of not liking the glossy screen so considered a refurb last model.

You must read this thread (at least the first page and the last two pages):
    "Apple says some MacBook Pros affected by faulty Nvidia chips"

Apple is not stating this known problem on their refurb and clearance sale sites.

Read this link, it's short:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/10/

(sorry to repeat this but people are not aware of the problem, hence this OP's question)

apple_says_some_macbook_pros_affected_by_faulty_nvidia_chips.html

"Despite Nvidia's claim that its graphics chip failures were limited to a certain number of chips manufactured for a certain number of notebooks, the Inquirer in July charged the company with masking the severity of the problem, alleging that "all the G84 and G86 parts are bad. Period. No exceptions."

"All of them, mobile and desktop, use the exact same ASIC, so expect them to go south in inordinate numbers as well," the publication said."

Note that elsewhere "early 08" was defined as going to Sept.

3. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

i'd say the extra ~ $400 is worth getting a machine that won't have any gpu (known) issues

Plus no warped cases/lids on the new ones :)

4. Nedturskakao thread starter macrumors member

I know about the faulty Nvidia GPU, but Apple will repair affected ones for free within 2 year of purchase right? Therefore i don't really see it as a problem.

5. dougnewman macrumors 6502

IMO the changes - mostly cosmetic - of the new one are not worth $400.

6. Phenobarbital4U macrumors newbie

Stick with that beautiful laptop you ordered and enjoy it!!!! :D

Space is the most important thing, so go with the newer one. Plus this way you will be walking around with the newest version in your bag not looking at other guys being like "maybe i shouldve got the newer one" lol :rolleyes:

7. jTreu macrumors 6502

I bought the 2.5ghz with 512mb VRAM for $1499 after waiting for the new one to come out and not loving it, received the reurb today, couldn't be happier, especially considering this laptop was $2500 last week. I think the older gen looks more "pro" with the all aluminum, the new ones look kind of gaudy, imo.

(cut and paste from another thread like this)

8. bkeezy macrumors newbie

or maybe theyll see the shiny screen from across the room when you open it up and fall in love with you... isn't that what a laptop is for? ;)

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

did exactly the same. i however think the new books look great. the screen glare isn't bad at all but i like matte more. in the end i couldn't justify paying $2500 for a MBP that's 10% faster than a $1499 MBP. In addition to that i won't buy apple care for the refurb MBP because at $1499 i'll take the risk. At 2500 buck i almost have to buy the $349 Applecare.

Only thing i miss is the easy to replace HD and of course the cool new look.

10. jTreu macrumors 6502

Yea it knd of sucks not getting the "ooh factor" when using it out and about, but its really not worth $1000 to me.