what to buy to burn movies?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Duch, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Duch macrumors member

I am looking at getting a new desktop mac to mostly do video work. I currently own a MBP to do all of my editing, syncing audio and video, and urning the movies. Using toast some movies can take up to 2 hours to burn to dvd, and am looking at a desktop that may do things quicker.

I am not looking at spending alot of money, but would like 2x superdrives to burn 2x the movies (I need many copies of each family movie burnt).

I do not know a whole lot about computers, but was thinking about picking up a mac pro. Not sure if octo core would be best, or just quad? If a refurbished computer would suit my needs or not? Any opinions would be great, thanks.

2. Duch thread starter macrumors member

those are different programs to use.

I already use Toast, and like its simplicity. I am inquiring into what will give me the best performance per dollar for a tower to burn multiple dvd's / blurays / cd's. If a MacPro cannot burn dvd's with toast much faster than my MBP, then I wont buy the desktop.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

If it is taking a long time to burn a disc, it's not the actual burn time that is slow. The video has to be compressed first. The best way to speed up your project would be to compress the video to an image on the hard drive then after doing that just once you can burn as many copies as you need and these will burn at the maximum speed of the DVD drive which is at least 2x faster than "real time"

What you must be doing now if burning many copies is slow is re-compressing for each burned copy. You will see a 4x speedup with current hardware.

If you need to go even faster look into getting a fast external DVD drive that conects with USB or Firewire to your MBP. The full size tray loading drives are much faster than the slimline slot loaders Apples uses in their notebooks and iMacs. And after you compress to an image you can copy that image to the faster drive as many times as you need.

One other option for you are automated disc duplicators. If you need a lot of discs these will work without a computer.

The mac Pro will compress faster than a MBP but not compressing the 2nd and 3rd time around is even faster