Carrier What to Do? ATT Customer : Use Subsidized Pricing or Buy Full Price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pat.micunnis, Sep 25, 2013.

1. pat.micunnis, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

pat.micunnis macrumors regular

I'm currently an AT&T customer with the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

I purchased my iPhone 5 last September. I used up my upgrade to buy it at the subsidized price ($299 for 32gb).

I'm interested in purchasing the iPhone 5s. I'm eligible for the "early upgrade" pricing ($200 off retail) -- e.g. $549 for 32gb.

I prefer not to sign up for another 2 years with AT&T.

I am leaning towards getting the Verizon version (full retail) but open to getting the AT&T model.

Any others facing my same dilemma? (Yes I know there are greater problems that folks are dealing with LOL)

2. Taranokc macrumors newbie

I was in the same boat and was going to just upgrade. My phone was stolen and I called to confirm prices, but the csr pushed both my lines to a full upgrade woohoo! Call again and see if they'll do that. I never even asked.

3. henryonapple macrumors 6502

why do verizon version? they're all the same

4. pat.micunnis thread starter macrumors regular

5. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I upgraded to get the 5 last year and I was in the same situation as you. I could either do an early upgrade, or pay $200 more to get it at full price.

I ended up going for the full price option.

At the Apple store I got an AT&T iPhone 5S at full price and when I plugged it into iTunes and hit restore it stated that the device was unlocked.

The main reason that I paid full price, aside from getting an unlocked device, was so that I can upgrade next year for the iPhone 6 at the subsidized price.

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I paid full price. I'd rather save my upgrade for next year, although I'll be likely just moving to tmobile or mvno

7. kappakai macrumors newbie

I paid full as well. My AT&T contract is up in December, and I'll probably switch to T-Mobile. I have the grandfathered unlimited on AT&T, but T-Mobile's pricing (especially their family plans) are very attractive, and also offer unlimited. Plus, here in LA, T-Mobile is doing quite well with their new LTE and HSPA networks. Full price will also make it much easier to sell when the 6 (and bigger screen, please oh FSM, please, give us a bigger screen) comes out.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I was in the same situation and opted to pay full price so I can jump on the AT&T Next wagon next year.

9. unbiased macrumors newbie

unbiased

10. pat.micunnis thread starter macrumors regular

Did you buy AT&T or Verizon?

11. solo118 macrumors 65816

Same boat, but I just do early upgrade every year. It does not cost much in the end, especially if you sell your current phone.

12. henryonapple macrumors 6502

13. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

if you end up paying full price, get the verizon model. no reason not to and gives you more options.

14. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Yes I am. I can do an early upgrade for $49.99, pay for the phone on a 2 year contract- $329.99 and sell my iPhone 5 to make up the difference. Only catch is I wont be getting the same plan as I have now :( Its $15 more.

Oh and also I won't be able to get my hands on the iPhone 5s in my city for at least another month unless I start sleeping outside my stores when they re-stock.

All that hassle doesn't seem worth it to me, so I am left with the only option of buying it in November.

----------

Your monthly plan doesn't sky rocket like mine does with an early upgrade?

15. Smithwicks macrumors regular

Do you enjoy being ripped off? ATT Next is a horrible deal for consumers.

16. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Is early upgrade available every year?

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You could always sell your phone for about $300 and use that towards the full retail price. It'll be like paying for an early upgrade without the contract part.

18. pat.micunnis thread starter macrumors regular

I'm now eligible for subsidized pricing!

A couple of weeks ago, I only qualified for the "early upgrade" price ($200 off retail).

Today, I checked my eligibility upgrade ... To my surprise, I now qualify for the true subsidized pricing of $450 off (e.g. $299 for 32 gb). I used my upgrade last year to buy the 5.

I only plan to keep the 5s for a year and then get the 6.

Any advice?

19. Apfpilot macrumors regular

I used the subsidized early upgrade price. I am really happy with AT&T and my iPhone 5 will sell for more than the $449 it cost. I also called AT&T and complained about some misinformation they gave me and they gave me a healthy bill credit to make up for some of the difference. When the 6 comes out I'll probably do the same thing.

20. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Why don't you re-sign and then just pay the ETF in Dec? You end up saving 100 bucks... or am I wrong on this? 300 (for sub'd 32gb) + 305 (325 ETF - 20 for 2 months of service) = $605. Off contract= $700

21. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

If you qualify for the full upgrade price then take it! You are paying about $20/month for the phone whether you take it or not. :cool:

22. Kendo macrumors 68000

Could someone please explain this to me? My voice is $40, unlimited data is $30, and unlimited text is $10. Do you mean the $20 is built into the price of voice and data? Because as far as I know, the above prices were like that since the dawn of time.

23. blarivee macrumors 6502

You could sell your iPhone 5S next year and use the proceeds to subsidize the iPhone 6 :)

----------

I think he or she means your monthly plans already has the subsidy cost built into. You pay the same monthly rate regardless of whether you get a new phone or not. It's not like T-Mobile where they give you $10 off monthly if you do not renew your contract.

24. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Subsidize for me....AT&T will give me 3 GB data plan for same price as Verizons 2 GB data plan. Seems like a no brainer. Only need to find out if AT&T coverage is same of better than Verizons in my area.

25. aneftp macrumors 601

If u got iPhone 5 at subsidized price last year how are u getting full subsidy iPhone 5s pricing within 12 month?

Please clarify.