Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
So I am new to the Mac world, just getting my 15" and such, and was wondering what I should do when I upgrade.

I've heard that similary to the Windows world a clean install is best for ideal performance and what not.

I have a 20GB iPod so backing things up shouldn't be too difficult if I do a clean install, but is this a good idea?

Any other suggestions for the cleanest/easiest/best install would be appreciated...

Thanks

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I do a clean install on my G4 every time a "new" OS comes out.
I usually copy my entire "Home" folder to an external volume (like an iPod).
When done installing the OS (+updates) and apps, I copy the "needed stuff" back to my new home dir, finding out which files are important, and which are not.
A good way to learn which files belong to what.

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
If an external drive is not available, what is the install type for wipe everything clean? All I need to save is my iTunes folder and I can burn that onto a few discs.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by beefcake
If an external drive is not available, what is the install type for wipe everything clean? All I need to save is my iTunes folder and I can burn that onto a few discs.

so once you have the stuff backed up.... just pop in the panther cds and do a "reformat/clean install" or something like that.... best to start fresh when possible.

ScubaD

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2003
I just got my G5 back around 9/15. Haven't installed too much software on it. Just installed Photo Elements, Entourage, Proteus, Final Cut, and some minor apps. I also have 7G of music. I haven't back up the music yet, since most of it is on my XP machine as well.

Should I do a fresh install?

Thanks

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
depends how much time and such you have.... the fact is, with less stuff already installed, it's even easier to do the clean install...

clean install whenever possible i think...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.