What to do for my wife..wait? Or buy now..also will At&t allow me to this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digitalduck, May 24, 2010.

  1. digitalduck macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #1
    OK so my wife just has a basic phone, I have a 3gs both on at&t...

    Her next time to upgrade is 3.11 I wanted to buy her an ipod touch, but when the new phoens comes out I would want an upgrade and might as welll get her one..

    question, would att allow yuou to walk in, cancel your contract, pay the fee walk outi and back in again and sigh up with two 199 phones? Right now her early upgradefdee is $399 for the 3gs...man..

    I might as well just get her an ipod touch and just get her the "new" 2nd gen.

    What do you think? Should I just get an an ipod touch now? Wait until the next iphone comes out and see what i can do with that? Or maybe if they get one for Verizon then im set..

    Pay ther early term fee...sell my 3gs and go with verizon..

    Thanks!
     
  2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

    STEVESKI07

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #2
    If you cancel your contract I think there is somewhere between a 3-6 month period where you can't sign up for service with AT&T again. As for paying $399 for the 3gs right now, why don't you just wait until the new one comes out because that one will most likely be priced at $399. I don't think it makes sense to spend $200+ on an iPod touch and then another $200 or so for a 2g that will be extremely outdated and basically unsupported a month from now.

    As for the Verizon iphone, rumors are not until September, which means there will most likely not be any sort of anouncement this summer when it is released on AT&T. This will put a lot of people in a tough spot, but you have to make the decision yourself.
     
  3. RonHC macrumors 6502a

    RonHC

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    #3
    DIVOURSE!!!

    Nah Just Kidding
    If things dont work out for the new iPhone, then wait till September when the new iPod Touch comes out, rumors say it will have a camera but if you dont want to wait then go ahead and buy the iPod Touch
     
  4. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #4
    Good repiles guys and thanks for the at&t turnout wait itme... yeah ill propbalby just wait for the new phone, by one for myself, sell mine and then get ehr one 2011...since I dont have an early upgrade thill then either, so myabe ill find a way to buy one for myself then give her my 3gs...hmm..thanks!!! I d like to get her a touch right now for a toy, but onw make sense when im trying to get her a phone..

    On the other hand, I cna afford the touch, I mostly likely cant afford the n ew phone for her no matter what pricews of 3gs prop too....thast another thing> Will the prtice of the 3xisting 3gs drop? If so, then maybe yeah..
     
  5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

    STEVESKI07

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #5
    Yes, the price of the 3gs will most likely drop to the current price of the 3g right now.
     
  6. hushmartin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Location:
    Kansas
    #6
    If you aren't planning on getting her the newest iPhone, then why don't you just upgrade yours and give her your 3gs? That would make the most sense.
     
  7. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #7
    It just depends on whether or not they're still going to charge mye like 399 to upgrade mine during my early upgrade..
     
  8. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

    Macman756

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #8

    Divorce maybe? Fail.
     
  9. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #9
    Hmmm divorce hmmmm... :cool: shes just an extra line on my account... maybe she could drip herself etc....
     
  10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    SI, NY
    #10
    If u want to upgrade couldent u just upgrade her and then have the #s switched. But that's an as* move and she might get mad. But she will then have ur current phone and u will have the new one.
     
  11. hushmartin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Location:
    Kansas
    #11
    I guess I don't understand why the heck you are balking at paying 400 bucks for upgrade when you are also talking about switching to Verizon, in which case you'll be out closer to 700 bucks between phones and etf. Or why you are balking about 400 bucks for upgrade when you are also considering quitting At&t to re-sign up and pay 400 bucks for 2 new iphones AND the etf, which would all total around 700 bucks. Perhaps I have over estimated the etf, but even if I had you would still be out at least 600.

    This seriously doesn't make any sense, unless you are planning on dumping At&t, not paying your etf, and going to Verizon-- thereby ruining your credit. In which case...Dude, get your priorities straight. lol

    Obviously your cheapest option is to sell your phone, upgrade with the profits and forget your wife's phone until she's eligible to upgrade.
     
  12. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #12
    Yeah but we are both up for full upgrtade in 3/11... i was going to either leave att if it was possiblye and resign selling my phone to pay the etf and put towards our new phones...then whne new phone comes out, wait til lmarch andsell our phones and buy new phone and save the profit.... or just buy her an ipod touch right now to play wiht and get familiar wiht and then sell that when it comes time to get her an upgrade.....then wait till 3/11 and buy my phone tp to by selling mine...something like that...

    :)
     
  13. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

    Nicolecat

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    #13
    Couldn't you add a new line?...for the subsidized price, and drop her old line...?
    She would have to get a new number...

    Or am i imagining the possibility of this?

    Edit: of course she may not like this option.
     
  14. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #14
    damn I dont know...wouldnt it have to have another SS# and everything that would be different from my wife's?

    Good idea thouigh


    UPDATE: This is what some guy just did:

    Contrary to what you all said (well most of you), I went to the AT&T store today and did just what I said I wanted to do in Plan A. It worked just as I explained it above. I added a new line, paid 199.99 for a 16GB iPhone 3GS (white), and had them switch my current number to the new line and the new number to the existing line. Adding the new number to the existing line did not affect the contract for that line. It still ends in September and is eligible for a new phone upgrade in May. I can cancel it in Sept if I choose or get a new phone and extend the contract another 2 years. Another family member is going to use the new number now so it all works out. There was a 26.00 activation fee for the new line plus the 9.99 a month. I would say that 225.99 + tax is a heck of a lot cheaper than the 399/499 you guys were telling me to pay Thank you smmonfee for the answer that I was looking for. The AT&T Sales Rep said that he does this same procedure all the time of switching numbers between lines and it does not cost anything extra. Thanks again for the help guys. I got my iPhone 3GS and couldn't be happier. .


    so he would still have an existing 9.99 line however, so he cant cancel his line because that is the master line, but since my wife's is the 9.99 line now, cna i add the line, transfer # and then cancel her 9.99 line?
     
  15. RonHC macrumors 6502a

    RonHC

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    #15
    not if you're in England
     

Share This Page