What to do if I sell my Ipad2? Wipe data/Trsf warranty?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lovespicyfood, Feb 25, 2012.

1. lovespicyfood macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I am selling my IPad 2 32gb wifi to get ready for the 3.

My question is, how do you "wipe it" of your data when you sell it? I am going to Craigslist it so it will be a local sale. I want them to see that it works before the sale.

Also, I have the extended Apple warranty that I want to transfer to the new buyer.

TIA for your help!

Pete

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I think there's reset option in the Settings that'll wipe everything.

3. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

Heres your transfer AppleCare instructions, simply do this:
    Transfer of Plan
    (i) With Transfer of Covered Equipment to New Owner. Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your rights under the Plan to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer includes the original Proof of Purchase, the Plan's Confirmation and all of the Plan's packaging material, including printed materials and these Terms and Conditions; (b) you notify Apple of the transfer by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-405-3655 or agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively; and (c) the party receiving the Plan accepts the Terms and Conditions of the Plan. When notifying Apple of the transfer of the Plan, you must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial number of the Covered Equipment being transferred and the name, address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.

4. lovespicyfood thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! I had no idea it was that easy on both fronts! iPad2 going on Craigslist tomorrow....

Pete

5. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Make sure to select the option to erase all data and settings. It would probably be better to restore it in iTunes, though.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I just did this with mine..It went across borders, but essentially the process is the same. You need to unregister your iPad in the "My Support" pages on the Apple site.

They will send you a confirmation email with the certificate which you can print and present to the new user as confirmation.

AC will be transferred too. Mine went to a buddy, so I wasn't too concerned about data and simply erased all content and settings. If it's going to a stranger I would set it up as a new iPad using iTunes to be certain.

7. Joey225 macrumors member

How about when selling a 3G model? Can I leave the SIM card in or is that something I should keep and replace with a new one?

8. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

I usually do a restore through iTunes to be sure.