What to do if one of the glass "windows" cracks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InfinitiG, Sep 27, 2012.

1. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

Not so worried about the andonized back cracking but am worried what my options would be if one of the two upper and bottom glass windows cracks. Anyone know?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

3. InfinitiG thread starter macrumors 6502

The entire back case??

Anyone know how much the apple store will charge?

With the 4 it was a $29 replacement. With the 5 im scared to know how much.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

$229 if you don't have AppleCare+. It's not a bad price considering that full retail is $649+. They won't repair it but give you a replacement iPhone.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you looked at the teardown, which should be required for any iphone owner imo, you would know that the front screen is user replaceable. Because the back is where all the electronics are attached, that'll be more expensive.
    Moral of the story: get a case. :rolleyes:

6. InfinitiG thread starter macrumors 6502

ouch, 229 to replace the back case, and I'm assuming another 200 to replace the screen. bad news for someone never uses a case on their phone

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

$229 is to replace the entire phone. Lol

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

No, the $229 replacement is the cost for replacing your device if it's out of warranty regardless of where it's broken. There is no separate cost to replace the screen.

9. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

You guys are so lucky to have this option

If you break your phone here, say goodbye

10. InfinitiG, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

InfinitiG thread starter macrumors 6502

i know, this is what I meant

with the 4 it was 29 when you cracked the back, and 200 when you cracked your screen

with the 5 its 229 to when you crack the back windows and 229 if you crack the screen

huge difference

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

People who use cases also break phones, I've known many and read many on this forum.

12. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Anybody have to replace the front yet? Wonder if its cheaper since they can fix just that component now.

13. robotphood macrumors 6502a

Other than the ease of removal (& tech specs), I thought there was little difference between the front display of the iphone 5 vs the 4? Assuming it would cost the same.

14. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Yup, but it was so expensive because they refused to remove every component of the 4/4S to just replace the screen, and just charged you $199 for a whole new phone, the back panel was cheaper partly because it was so easy to remove, so I'm wondering since they don't have to remove every component, and only need to remove like 2 if they are now just fixing the screen and not giving you a whole new phone (making repairs cheaper).

15. InfinitiG thread starter macrumors 6502

yea it seems like if the screen cracks, it should be a somewhat cheap fix if buying the part online since it is so easily replaceable. but if one of the windows on the back cracks its a different story

16. robotphood macrumors 6502a

That makes sense. Let's hope Apple decides it should cost less. My only fear is that quality 3rd party replacements for the 4/4S weren't that much cheaper and had nothing to do with the ease of repair.

I don't plan on using a case on this phone either. But at least the glass on the back doesn't affect functionality, unless the camera lens breaks.

17. lamenramen macrumors regular

The iPhone 5 is less repairable to me than the 4 b/c of the unibody design.
    Aluminum doesn't crack but it'll dent super easily (my prediction) and you can't pop the dents back out.

In time, the iphone 5 screen will be $30 on ebay. The back plate of the 4 is $10 on ebay. No dice on the iphone 5 back, which is a unibody and no longer a back plate.

It may make sense to buy applecare now.