What to do........? (out of space on 16GB 1st gen iPod touch)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bowlerguy10, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

I currently have a 16 gig 1st gen iPod touch that is MAXED with all of my music and 1 TV show. I have 17 gigs of video and 14 gigs of music, obviously I wouldn't put ALL of my video on the touch at once but I DO want all of my music on my touch. So basically, I can't fit any video that I currently have on my touch the way it is. What should I do? Should I upgrade to a 1st gen 32 gig? Buy a second gen 32 gig? Buy a 120 or 80 gig iPod Classic or just stick with what I have?

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

You could try waiting for the 64GB Touch and just keep reloading your iPod every once in a while with new stuff, while you wait.

3. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I say buy what you really want; then at least you won't be disappointed. :)

4. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you guys think I should spring for the 32 gig?

5. dellavoce macrumors regular

That's what I would reccomend. I went from a 30 GB iPod video to a 16 GB touch and it was a little tight. I think that a 32 GB touch is just about perfection.

6. California King macrumors 65816

If you're not too worried about audio quality, you could always convert all your music to 128kbps. Other than that, you should get the 32GB 2G IPT or the 120GB iPod classic.

7. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

The 80 or 120 gig Classic also are appealing to me.....does the 80 gig iPod classic work with the genius playlists or no? Just throwing out ideas.

8. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

I don't believe any of the classic ipods have the genius function built in but I don't think that stops you from making playlists with genius in itunes and using them.

As for what the TS should do. I say just keep what you've got and just fill it with different music from time to time. In reality there is no need for 17gb of music at any one time and even if you buy a larger ipod you'll probably wind up deciding to fill it with even more music and video and then eventually hit that limit anyway. (especially if you just go for the 32gb)

9. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Do you really need to have all your music on your iPod touch at all times? You should learn to love smart playlists and only put your most played/highest rated music on there.

But if you do decide to upgrade, I think you should get a 2G touch or a classic, rather than another 1G touch.

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

In your case, I would go with a 32 GB iPod touch 2nd Gen. Unless if you could find a 1st Gen. for a steal of a price. But I would go with the newer one if I were you, the speaker and volume rocker are nice additions. A 32 GB would be fine for you as you could fit your entire music library, and have room for most of your video library.

11. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

How well do the Classic iPods do video? It sounds as though in your perfect world, you'd have both audio and video in your pocket.

12. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

I have a cousin that has over 2,000 songs in his library, and all together they add up to 10GB, with an approximate total play time of 143 hours. He'd have to listen to songs nonstop for about four days before he listened to them all just one time, and that would be listening 24/7 with no rest! :eek:

You say you have more than that- so are your files enormous, or are you really away from your computer for 7 days of 24/7 audio playback?

Just saying- I think you could make do with a Smart Playlist or a less kbps... 14 Gigs of music?!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

13. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have almost 4,000 songs. But a friend made me realize how many songs I actually HAVEN'T listened to. I am now using smart playlists and putting 1,000 random songs on and putting a bunch of TV shows on etc along with it. Once I have gotten tired of that selection i'm going to put only songs with 0 plays on and actually listen to some new music! Thanks everyone for the suggestions and ideas.

14. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Good luck listening to all of that music!! ;)

BTW- You can make Smart Video Playlists, and deal with your 17GB of Video in a similar manner. I personally make a smart playlist with 3 random episodes for each TV show, it works great! :)

15. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool! I will have to try that. Just curious, where do you actually do most of your iPod video watching?

16. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

While I am one the computer, on vacation (great for sunbathing and camping) or at college. I have two monitors for my computer, but I like to use them both at the same time (ergo the iPod Touch usage), and I have 2hrs and 45mins down time between lessons where I have nothing to do but watch my iPod Touch.

On another note- the microphone input might also be useful during lectures, I've never tried it yet. That app (Note2Self) just came out (for the Touch at least, it was iPhone only before) and I haven't had the chance to bring it to school with me yet.

17. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Probably best for the classic.

What I don't understand though, why did you buy a 16GB iPod touch, if you've got so much music and videos? Wouldn't going for a classic straight away have been better?

18. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I'm not him obviously, but he probably wanted to get the iPod touch as it was essentially the newest iPod technology wise, and he may have bought it before there were any 32 GB models. I don't really see anything that is completely difficult to comprehend.

19. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

i think the best possible solution to your problem would be give your iPod Touch to me :)

that way, everybody's a winner :p

20. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Convert your music to ACC to free up a few GBs of space.

21. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Because my collection has grown a lot since I bought my iPod touch. The touch was really what got me into music and thus after I got it I started collecting, I only started out with about 20 CD's.