What to do with an un-opened G5 1.6...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by _bnkr612, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 8, 2004
    I purchased a G5 1.6 ghz last Thursday. After reading the "rumor" I feel like I should not even open my G5 (which arrived today) and send it back and wait for this rumor to filter out. Maybe the same price will be for the Dual 1.8. :confused:

    I do webdesign and graphic design and I didn't think a Dual would even be needed for what I do. But if I can get a Dual 1.8 then maybe I should send it back before I open the box!

    Can anyone offer me some suggestions?

  2. wordmunger macrumors 603


    Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Well, you bought this computer because you needed it, right? Remember that those dual 1.8s (if they're even for real) might not ship for a month or two after they're announced. In the meantime, you might have had three months with your new 1.6, which, as you've said, is perfectly adequate for your needs. And there's no assurance that the new 1.8s will be priced the same as your 1.6. Why not just enjoy the new computer?
  3. filmmaker2002 macrumors regular

    Jun 6, 2003
    Because the one that you could get in two weeks for the same price will be twice as fast. I would return the 1.6, wait until the 23rd and get a new Dualie 1.8.
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    ...or wait until the 23rd and nothing happens and you end up ordering the 1.6 again, but this time, being more nervous because you'd be two weeks closer to another rumored update...

    it's endless...

    do you need it to do what you need to do now? if yes, then open. if not, two questions: 1) try to remember why you ordered the 1.6 to begin with (because you really, REALLY needed/wanted the machine? because you were sick of waiting?) and 2) be ready to wait for two weeks (or more) for the specs to be released and potentially a few more weeks (or more) for the actual product to become available and the priced a bit higher, perhaps...
  5. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

    Jan 8, 2003
    Western Hemisphere
    If you return it you'll pay a 10% (I think) restocking fee + shipping back to Apple since it's not a defective product.

    - IF the rumors are true and
    - IF the low end price stays the same

    It'll cost you $180 (roughly, check the return policy to be sure) for the upgrade. So, it's really a question of can you afford the restocking fee?

    I also echo the sentiments about shipping times after announcements.
  6. wordmunger macrumors 603


    Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    You could always use it for a while, then eBay when the upgrades are real and shipping. The price difference might be close to the $180 restock fee.
  7. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    there's no restocking fee on an unopened product, just return shipping.
  8. cubist macrumors 68020

    Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    How about the 1.8's for $1899 at the apple store? Of course if the rumors are correct the dual 1.8 won't be much more than that... but who knows.
  9. Grimace macrumors 68040


    Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    Open it now and don't look back. There will always be new products out there and new rumors ahead of those products. I can't believe anyone could sit there with a G5 and NOT open it! :p
  10. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a


    May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Or you can return it and wait till the G6 comes out, then return it and wait for the G7 to come out, rinse and repeat.

    Open it and use it already.
  11. Krizoitz macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'll take it off your hands, then you can keep waiting :D
  12. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

    Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    open it !

    I had waited and waited and waited...even changed my mind and tried to change the order after placing it...but to no avail. Rumours are endless...

    Ever since it arrived, I've been happy as all can be!!!!! :D
  13. cr2sh macrumors 68030


    May 28, 2002
    I disagree with most of the folks.. return it.

    The new g5's are around the corner, you f'd up by buying it... don't make the mistake of opening it. :cool:

    For the record, I think buying a 1.6 is a mistake. PERIOD.
  14. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

    Jul 28, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    There's already a dual 1.8. Check the apple store online.
  15. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

    Inspector Lee

    Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    14 days...

    I think you only have 14 days from the day you received it to return it to Apple. Also, if it is BTO, you cannot return it unless it is defective - I think.
  16. cr2sh macrumors 68030


    May 28, 2002
    If rumors prove true and the dual 1.8 becomes the low end.. then he might be able to replace his 1.6 with a similarly priced dual 1.8.

    He wasn't talking about a rumored dualie, he was talking (I think?) about a rumored price reduction on the existing dualie.

    Again, for the record.. I doubt prices will be reduced that much... and even clearance of old stock... I doubt it'll drop that much. I'd like to believe the next generation will have a single cpu version... a 2.0 or such. Even at that, it'd be worth it... still, don't open it. We're so close at this point...

    Return it. Tuesday, March 30th will bring updates.
  17. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

    Dec 6, 2003
    Keep it. I was about to buy a G5 in December but then I was told the new ones were coming out and they didn't. Then I was told the would come out end of January and they didnt. I waited and waited and waited. And finally got myself a 1.8 single. Its plenty fast for everything I need- and I couldn't be happier.
  18. wPod macrumors 68000


    Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    open it. use it. enjoy it. every computer will eventually stop being the most up-to-date at some point in time, so why dont you just use and enjoy your G5 now. instead of let it come out of date while sitting in the box. you people act like the only computer good enough is the one that comes out in 2 months. how many people actually have the most up-to-date computer? and what computer are you upgrading from? im sure the G5 1.6 is much better than what you have now. if you are really conserned just e-bay it when the new ones come out. and do that every couple months when there is an upgrade.

Share This Page