What to do with dropped IP4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gman901, May 28, 2011.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I wanted to get some thoughts on what I should do with my recently dropped iPhone 4? It seems to work fine, but there is a small dent in the the upper left corner of the bezel and front glass. Yesterday I noticed when tapping just to the right of the home button I was getting some clicking noises. This morning I could not duplicate the same clicking noise when tapping the screen. I need to have a good phone and was wondering if I should keep using it until it fails or go to the Apple store and replace it with a $200 out of warranty unit? Also, are these refurbished units like new?

2. Inkllicious macrumors regular

Typically the refurbs are... OK.. I have a refurb 3G. It came with two small scratches. IMO Just make sure they don't hand you a yellow tinted one.

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

I have had 2 refurb 3G iPhones and they were absolutely pristine and like new. Our current iPhone 4 is a refurb...again, absolutely perfect.

(The reason we (wife and I ) don't have 2 4s is I am waiting for 5 :) )

OP, if it works and you are happy with it, keep it. If the cosmetic issues are bothering you, replace it and be out 200 bucks, but enjoy happiness.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

The refurbs from the Apple Store are perfect- they look like they're brand new. If you get one from AT&T, they tend to be scratched (they have different definitions of "refurbished").

5. collisos macrumors member

You might wanna try just going into the store. I dropped my phone on the ground and cracked the front and broke a speaker and I went in with no warranty, was polite and understanding and if you get a nice guy (like I did) he'll give you a new one free of charge.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If it was me I would put a screen protected over it to avoid getting dirt in the crack and then only paying the $200 out of warranty replacement if I encontour a real problem and not just a crack.

7. patp Guest

this is the best advice. The phone works, so it can be used. The screen protector will keep dirt out plus keep the glass intact (i.e. if any pcs inside fall out).

You always have the option to get a replacement at $200 if and when the phone starts to fail.

at the same time, probably wouldn't hurt to go to the Apple store anyways and see if they will replace it. You never know.

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If it works then keep it. No point in spending $200 if you don't need to, unless it is just bothering you. You never know, it might last until your ready to get a new one.

Like you said, you always have the option to replace it for $200 if it does stop working. It is a quick and simple process.

9. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for the advice! I went in the Store today for another reason and just told the Genius that I dropped my phone while at the Gym and mentioned some of the issues. I told them I would pay the $200 if they noticed there were some problems. They gave me a new one as a one time replacement at no charge. That's why I love Apple! Great customer service! I now keep a bumper on it at all times!

10. jmo1116 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm in the exact same situation. Did you just take your phone in and they looked at it and said we'll replace it? Did they take your old phone and give you a new or refurbished phone?

11. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Sooo you drop it, and you expect a new one from Apple???? Cause I got a dent in my Truck this morning.... do you think Ford will send em a new one? or will I get a refurb! HA HA HA

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Glad it worked out for you!
    :apple:

13. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have no idea why they offered me a one time replacement. I just told them truthfully what I did and they found a problem with a metal piece inside the unit and offered me a replacement. I was totally prepared to fork over $200, but I was completely surprised. I think Apple is more than fair and it is another reason why I have continued to stick with the Apple brand.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm guessing that a lot of people BS with Apple so when they actually have truthful people come up to them, they are more than happy to do them a favor.

15. lucyna macrumors member

People are always careless to drop iphone, that is why I bought a case once I got my iphone 4. If it is worked fine, you are lucky, and don't worry.

16. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

There's always someone that has to be like this and make a smart alec comment. A car and a phone are very different FYI.

17. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Sooo do you not know how to read a post? He quite clearly stated he was willing to pay for it. They made the decision to give him a free one when he was honest with them.

As for your Ford truck, the dent should be the least of your worries. Just consider yourself lucky when it starts in the morning.

18. droidlover78 macrumors newbie

i would sell it cheap for parts and upgrade to a better phone like android.

19. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

What makes Android better? Nothing haha. And I don't care about there so called "open system" the only real people that benefit from a more open operating system are super nerds with no friends.

20. mstrze macrumors 68000

One 3G and our 4 are actually directly from AT&T...again, they are absolutely, positively pristine and beautiful. The other 3G (my current one) was replaced by a genius at the Apple store.

21. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac