Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wohast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
If you have a rattle when your phone vibrates, take it in and replace it!

I received my 64gb White Verizon model, and I noticed the rattle on my own before reading forums.

Took it to Apple store, and they replaced it but it still had the rattle.

Went back again the next day, and demanded another replacement. Finally got a flawless iPhone 4S.

Dont let the Genious BS you with excuses, demand a replacement. Plenty of the 4S do not have the vibrate rattle, so don't settle for one that does.

Again this is only advice for people who actually care about the rattle during vibrate.

Verizon Activation Tip:
I have never been able to activate a iPhone in the Apple store with Verizon. Since my Apple store is in a Mall they always tell me to go to the Verizon kiosk and activate it there. And when I did go to them they wanted me to pay $20 for them to do it. DO NOT PAY THEM, unless you don't care about money. Just call the 1-800 number that pops up when you try the *228 on your phone. They'll activate it for free over the phone instantly.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I finaly got a perfect phone except for the vibragate. No batterygate, yellowgate, badpixelgate, uneven blacksgate. Already used up my second Power support screen protector. I think i will live with vibragate for now and then down the road when i get a scratch or 2 and when the battery wears a bit i'll have an excuse to exchange it with a referb. The referbs are pratcticlay brand new. I have better luck with them then the brand new ones lol.

If you have a rattle when your phone vibrates, take it in and replace it!

I received my 64gb White Verizon model, and I noticed the rattle on my own before reading forums.

Took it to Apple store, and they replaced it but it still had the rattle.

Went back again the next day, and demanded another replacement. Finally got a flawless iPhone 4S.

Dont let the Genious BS you with excuses, demand a replacement. Plenty of the 4S do not have the vibrate rattle, so don't settle for one that does.

Again this is only advice for people who actually care about the rattle during vibrate.

Verizon Activation Tip:
I have never been able to activate a iPhone in the Apple store with Verizon. Since my Apple store is in a Mall they always tell me to go to the Verizon kiosk and activate it there. And when I did go to them they wanted me to pay $20 for them to do it. DO NOT PAY THEM, unless you don't care about money. Just call the 1-800 number that pops up when you try the *228 on your phone. They'll activate it for free over the phone instantly.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
install ibrate app or call yourself while on vibrate. While the phone is vibrating hold it vertical by slightly gripping the phone at the top, you can also lay it flat on your palm without gripping it. Laying it on a hard table will not tell you if you have the issue. Now pinch the bottom right of the phone with your fingers. If it stops the rattle (assuming you have it)then you have vibragate.

I am just curious. How can you describe the "rattle vibrate"?

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
what if you find out later that it is suppose to rattle because it actually serve a real purpose? Mine only rattles near the camera lens when i tap it on it hard.

wohast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Can also just go to custom vibrations. You can hear it the best on Rapid, but can hear it even better if you create your own with just a constant vibrate. I heard it best when just holding the phone with 2 fingers (under volume controls and on other side). If you have the problem you'll notice it pretty much in any position, using that custom vibrate.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
install ibrate app or call yourself while on vibrate. While the phone is vibrating hold it vertical by slightly gripping the phone at the top, you can also lay it flat on your palm without gripping it. Laying it on a hard table will not tell you if you have the issue. Now pinch the bottom right of the phone with your fingers. If it stops the rattle (assuming you have it)then you have vibragate.

Can also just go to custom vibrations. You can hear it the best on Rapid, but can hear it even better if you create your own with just a constant vibrate. I heard it best when just holding the phone with 2 fingers (under volume controls and on other side). If you have the problem you'll notice it pretty much in any position, using that custom vibrate.

sounds like a lot of work to go searching for an issue.

wohast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
what if you find out later that it is suppose to rattle because it actually serve a real purpose? Mine only rattles near the camera lens when i tap it on it hard.

All 5 floor models at the Apple store that I checked didn't have a rattle, and a family members doesn't have a rattle as well. My old 4 didn't have a rattle either. Based on this, I doubt the rattle is "supposed" to be there.

Varoudis

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009

I get it near the camera too...

but I aslo get it when it vibrates. (we have 2 4S in the house and the other one is OK when Vibrate. but it does the rattle near the camera when you tap it)

wohast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
sounds like a lot of work to go searching for an issue.

I agree. I wouldn't go looking for a problem that I didn't notice. I personally discovered it on my own, and then started snooping around forums to see if anyone else had the problem.

----------

I get it near the camera too...

but I aslo get it when it vibrates. (we have 2 4S in the house and the other one is OK when Vibrate. but it does the rattle near the camera when you tap it)

The rattle at the top when you tap it is just part of the Auto Focus. Every 4S that I have checked had that rattle, even the old 4's have it as well. Some rattle at the top louder then others, but overall you'll never get a silent one imo.

Vibrate rattle SHOULD NOT be there though.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
My first one had the vibragate. Replaced it Sunday and the new one has been perfect and then it started again yesterday. No I am concerned there is some flaw with the vibrators. May show up immediately, a few days or weeks later etc. At this point I am tired of replacing screen protectors etc so maybe I should just wait and see if Apple rectifies this problem as it is common.

Again this is not the camera lens rattle. That is different and normal.

^.^

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
I finaly got a perfect phone except for the vibragate. No batterygate, yellowgate, badpixelgate, uneven blacksgate. Already used up my second Power support screen protector. I think i will live with vibragate for now and then down the road when i get a scratch or 2 and when the battery wears a bit i'll have an excuse to exchange it with a referb. The referbs are pratcticlay brand new. I have better luck with them then the brand new ones lol.

They give you a new iPhone.

wohast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
12 days so far of heavy use, and vibrate rattle has not come back. however, the camera rattle is extremely loud now, i dont even have to tap the back anymore to make it rattle....zzzzzzzzzzzzz. cant decide what to do

CheatingSoi

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Hey. I had an iPhone 4 which I specifically loved for the solid and quiet feeling of the vibrate motor. I just switched to Sprint and got the 4S and was disgusted at the sound of the vibrate. I looked it up and found this. What is my luck that I can get one that doesn't have this problem? I really almost don't even want the phone if its going to be like this. But I cant go back to my 4 because i switched carriers.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
The replacement 4S I got yesterday for yellow gate/washed out gate has this vibrate issue. I didn't notice it till this morning when I checked for email and was surprised by the vvvvvVVVVVAARRKK sound from the vibrate.

Holding the phone tightly on the right side about the lower antennae or just to the right of the home button removes the rattle sound and gives the normal vibrate that the previous 4S had.

The sound is noticeable on a call if I switch to/from Silent, it comes through as a "bwamp" sound.

[Edit] Really in two minds on wether to replace it or not, its really bothersome but I had to get a couple of replacements for different issues (lack of audio in some calls on first 4S, screen washed out yellow on 2nd) and I don't want to go back to a washed out screen.

Last edited:

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
I've just bought an iPhone 4S 16GB Black and after one day I started to notice the rattle... Especially like someone mentioned if I'm just holding it and turn the vibrate switch on...

For me to exchange it I will need to return the item thru courier and then buy another one, I don't want a refurb and I bet if I go to an Apple Service Provider that's what will happen... Had my amazing iPhone 4 changed 5 times until I got a good one last time... All with different problems from no WIFI reception, Home Button not logging clicks, loudspeaker not working, etc...

Now I buy another 600 dollars phone and here we go again...

I always loved Apple but the quality control seems to be deteriorating by the year...

Seriously thinking of just returning it and buying a Nokia Lumia 800 or 900...

Just wanted to vent of my anger...

Thanks for listening :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.